mark III rig finally finished!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkIVC+

Reaction score
hi everyone, i thought i would share my new rig.
it's not the most elaborate setup in the world, but i'm VERY happy (and actually quite surprised) with how good it sounds. here it is:

mark III red stripe. simulclass, reverb and R2 volume mod, but no geq.
mkIII.jpg

with the help of my dad, we started building a 2x12 box (based on the dimensions of the recto 2x12). sides and back are made out of pine while the front face is made of birch ply. a sheet of audio foam was placed on the back plate, and we finished it off by using 2 eminence legend speakers. picked up a random maroon/purple skin from fabric land, and wicker grille (i wanted to make it look like the old wicker boogies).
cabfront.jpg

cabrear.jpg

add the previous 2 items together, and i ended up with this
stack1.jpg

stack2.jpg

i was having a hard time dealing with the old separate foot switches, so i bought a project box and started designing a a box where all the switches would be in one box. the final product looks like this. i would highly suggest to do this if you have not done so already as it simply makes switching channels so much less painful... i've always had a problem with how "backwards" the stock pedals are: red light on the lead pedal means it's NOT in lead, and red light on rhythm pedal meals you're NOT on crunch mode. this was very awkward to look at.
fs1.jpg

fs2.jpg

the new design is very simple: the button on the left is for R1/R2. when you are on the clean setting (r1) the first green led lights up. when you are on the crunch setting (r2) the second yellow led lights up. the button on the top is for the reverb, the led turns blue when the reverb is on. the button on the right is the lead switch: a red led turns on the you are IN lead mode. very easy on the eyes!

i was first skeptical about purchasing a mark without the geq, but decided to go for it since it was indeed in good condition, had the R2 volume mod, and was being sold for a pretty reasonable price. all my concerns went away when i hooked up my empress paraEQ into the loop. i know some people swear that adding an aftermarket EQ will not get you the same results as the stock eq, but i am VERY pleased with the results i got from this pedal! i would highly suggest it to anyone who does not have a geq model! i even set my parameters to match those of the boogies (i couldn't get them exact, and i only have 3 band but again, i was very pleased with the results). endless possibilities for shaping the sound and the amp seems to respond very well to the pedal!
novaeq.jpg

i also added my trusty tc nova delay (which i cannot live without) at the end of the loop.

here is the whole rig together (also with a volume pedal for those swells)
finishedrig.jpg

i use roughly the same settings as petrucci on his iiC+, and mostly play that dream theater / liquid tension kind of stuff. however, i also use it as a jazz amp (this amp is replacing my old roland jc-90).

unfortunately, i don't have any sound samples at this moment, but will upload some soon! the sound coming out of this thing is HUGE and very thick. i'm very happy with the eminence legends and would suggest padding the back plate to absorb some of the sound, but not enough to make it sound dry. it's very punchy with a horribly warm tone.

oh, and the guitars i'm using through it are
a custom '85 mij strat with gibson L4 neck pickup and random junk ibanez bridge pickup
stratPG.jpg

and a 2002 ibanez sa160 with x2n (b) / tonezone (n)
sa160.jpg

thanks for looking!

Nice looking rig. That cab looks sweet, nice job! My Mark 2 has GEQ but i actually prefer to use an external eq in the loop. I am using a 15 band dbx and i can do stuff with that which the onboard eq wont even get close to. Nice job on the footswitch also! 8)

Excellent job my friend. 8)
That cab is smokin'! Enjoy your red stripe...they're killer amps!

This looks fantastic and I can only imagine it sounds great. As a fellow "Mark III and 2x12" guy, I can tell you it's a nice setup for everything from home playing to gigs. And I did quite a bit of fine tuning with foam in my cab before I was totally happy with it; it's an underrated way to shape your sound. Good on you for working on it right off the bat.

your MkII head looks in REALLY nice nik - congrats.
Nice tolex tone on the 2x12 box- not too dark, not too bright... and matches the grill really well.
the footswitches look rather close - or is it optical illusion?
But I really like all pedals on one box, and LED's too - groovy..

That cab is SICK! Very well done. With that cab's volume, you should get some monster bass and kick to poo outta nearly anything. Of course, the MkIII is the right tool for the job. 8)

thanks everyone!
i'm not going to bother changing the tolex on the head, but i do want to change the grille to match the wicker on the box. that will happen sometime soon.

the footswitches are spaced reasonably well for "normal" sized shoes. unless you're wearing size 40 boots, you likely won't have any problems :)
IMG_0848.jpg

one bummer (sort of..) about this setup is that it really does not respond well to my old boss se-70 processor. i used it with my old rig, and it was OKAY for what it was, but once i tried it on the boogie, the thing sucked the living soul of the amp! i know it is a little outdated and isn't the most transparent piece of equipment (and certainly not quietest), but some people were saying that they got reasonable results using it, and others even said it was MORE transparent than otherwise decent processors like the g-major.

it's like going for a bike ride on your favorite bike, but deflating the tires right before you leave. or answering yes to "does this dress make me look fat" because because it simply does: it just doesn't compliment the otherwise nice piece of equipment.

i'll lay off the effects for now, but i will have to start looking to a better solution sometime in the future.

mkIVC+ said:
about this setup is that it really does not respond well to my old boss se-70 processor.

Yeah, the Marks really like pedals. Nice tasty well made pedals that fit your sound. Once you pick out a few of your favorites you should be set. Truthfully, I think alot of people that use the TC-g stuff use it for the delays, EQ's, compression and verbs and honestly there are much better to be had elsewhere. As far as the flangers/chorus, stuff like the EHX mistress and Boss Super Chorus are time tested tone machines! Personal favorites of mine. As far as delay - everyone's mileage varies.

mkIVC+ said:
it's like going for a bike ride on your favorite bike, but deflating the tires right before you leave. or answering yes to "does this dress make me look fat" because because it simply does: it just doesn't compliment the otherwise nice piece of equipment.

I laughed IRL. :lol:

Back