Mark III Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xT00BZRG00Dx

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Mark III head with a Marshall 1960A Cabinet with Celestion G12T-75's. I was wondering if this is the best cab/speakers for that head, and was also wondering if I should trade my 1960A for a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab. If thats not the best cab for a Mark III, then what is???? I play Progressive Metal and need liquid and smooth leads with Jazzy clean tones. Thanks

The best shot will be the 4x12 recto, though the 2x12 is a lot easier to carry, I sold my 1960 JCM 800 4x12 with G12T-75's, because I like the recto 4x12 a lot better. And I am into the progresive metal style as well.

tony777 said:
The best shot will be the 4x12 recto, though the 2x12 is a lot easier to carry, I sold my 1960 JCM 800 4x12 with G12T-75's, because I like the recto 4x12 a lot better. And I am into the progresive metal style as well.
So I should do it???? D you think people will be willing to trade a Marshall 1960A 4x12 for a Mesa Rectifier 2x12???? Is this the best cab for a Mark III????

gts said:
xT00BZRG00Dx said:
So I should do it???? D you think people will be willing to trade a Marshall 1960A 4x12 for a Mesa Rectifier 2x12???? Is this the best cab for a Mark III????
Dude you high on speed?! :roll: He answered your question. YOU decide what you want to do.
You ask a lot of questions without heeding any of what is said in the responses. Then ask them again!
If it ain't speed get checked for ADHD. Sorry not trying to be prick (ok, maybe it comes naturally ;-) ) but all your posts are like this....
Go now, play your guitar through whatever cab, use your Mark III and have a ball.
Sorry, its just im not really liking my tone much right now, and I was thinking it was the cab.

I agree 100% with gts ive read and posted so many bulletins on which cab what head what tube and when it comes down to it everyone has polar opposites in the tone they enjoy. I took the recto 4x12 advice and i hated the **** out of it i should have trusted my ear more then peoples opnions i love everyones help and i know so much info from this forum but the one thing that i learned from the forum is go try stuff out and see what YOU like. Like gts not trying to sound like a dick just this is the best advice i can give you. For me a orange 4x12 from was the best cab in the world but i had to sell it :cry: ... i have a port city 4x12 and im pretty stoked my thoughts on it soon.

I played my Mk. III through everything I had, Marshall, Orange, H&K, Bogner, Johnson.

By FAR - my favorite is my EarCandy Buzzbomb 212. Hands down.

Port City is also very nice as are Bogner and Orange.

I run my Mark III thru a Recto 2X12 cab and I absolutely love it.
I have an Avatar 2X12 cab as well that was loaded with Mesa C90's but is now loaded With V30's and it sounds pretty great thru that as well.
I play a lot of shred and heavy 6/7 string progressive stuff (Dream Theater , Nevermore
symphonyX,PlanetX etc) as a reference to how I'm using it. :D

Speakers that match the mark series well 2c+ and beyond:
V30's
Altec 418-H or whatever it was
EVM 12L

Good cab manufacturers:
Bogner
Mesa
Orange
others mentioned
Marshall....after screwing everything in properly, sealing the holes up and generally doing what should have been done at the factory.

Here ya go brother: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mze7-zhkx-4

You can take the advise of Bob Molton here in the YouTube clip (as glawk mentioned...) by taking your existing cab and re-screw, re-sealing, clean etc-check the video out!

I haven't tried it yet, but have read that these few things he mentions makes a huge improvement on your tone. Chances are if you have a Marshall 1960 cab already it must of sounded good to you at one point, which means you may dig the speakers in it, this video will help you to at least maximize what you already have at NO cost to you.

You may as well give it shot, you having nothing to loose here, and who know's - it may do the trick for ya!

If you end up trying it let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back