Mark II amp tone stacks- how to set for flat EQ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjmicsak

Reaction score
Tweeds have more mids, and Blackface Fenders have scooped EQs requiring high mids and low treble and bass, so how are the tone stacks on Mark II series amps set so that everything is flat?

Resistor values.
They are non-user-serviceable potentiometers, knobs without the knob, and how amp designers differentiate their products from one another, even when they may be based on similar circuits/tone stacks.

Thanks, but you misunderstood the question or I phrased it poorly.
How are Mark Series amps dialed in by the user to have the flattest frequency response?
Fenders are typically Treble and Bass about 2 or less and mids up mostly all the way.
The Mk Series GEQ would be flat across the middle if there were one on the amp, but question is how the knobs need to be set for a Mark Series amp to have the flat(est) available EQ across the tone stack, apart from whatever character it may have as opposed to other amps? The reference to other amps comes from rule of thumb from their tone characters.

The reasoning is to be able to use a Mk series as a good Jazz amp, which typically requires the aforementioned adjustments on other amps to make them usable for good Jazz tone. If someone had a backline and I needed to dial it in flat where would the dials need to sit?

Last edited:
It depends...
are you using the lead channel or the clean channel only?
On the mark II B/C the tone stack is plate fed and put before the VOL1 gain.
Then the signal is sent to the lead channel (lead drive).

On the mark I, the tone stack is plate fed, but put after the VOL2 gain, and VOL1 acts as lead drive.

So on mark II it really depends on how you set the VOL1.
tone stack acts as pre distortion filter and acts gain.
HIGHER vol1 ==> fatter tone, so you might want to lower bass and use treble as additional gain. middle might get you muddy after 5.
bass shift could be useful in your scenario, but with even less bass.
Treble shift and lead bright? I would not use it in your scenario.
vol1 pull bright? depends on your taste.

Alternative configuration for your configuration:
use low volume1, and higher values of bass (shifted or not) and middle.
I really like to use low volume1 in conjunction with higher bass values, even shifted, and with higher middle values (>= 6)
treble not shifted to taste, and lead drive without lead bright to taste.
bottom line
higher vol1 -> lower bass and mids
lower vol1 -> higher bass and mids

Tweeds have more mids, and Blackface Fenders have scooped EQs requiring high mids and low treble and bass, so how are the tone stacks on Mark II series amps set so that everything is flat?
Treble and Bass at 0, Mid pot anywhere you want, but for sake of argument just dime it.

The front end is a typical Fender TMB tone stack. This calculator can show you the effect it has on response. Bear in mind that this graph is the tone stack effect, not the finished response because guitar signal is not flat and there are other tone shaping parts in the preamp.

Tone Stack Calculator

Back