LSS Clean Sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leroy the Massochist

Reaction score
I have had my LSS for 12 months now. I have finally dialled in some real smokin overdrive sounds and I am extremely happy in this regard.

The clean sounds at band volume however I am struggling with. I use an Epihone Dot Delux with Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck.

The clean at just below band volume is massive. The clean, no break up, using the bridge at low volume is huge. At band volume though it all becomes very compressed and thin.

Also I run the master up very high and the gain down low on the dirty channel which means I have volume matching issues with the clean channel.

Would be great to hear any solutions. After such a large investment I do not want to hear I should buy a Mark III to get that big fat clean sound. There must be a way with this amp.

Have you tried / have the budget for an ext cab? I had one special ordered through GC (1x12) for just under 400 bucks.

I also have a LSS. I bought it specifically to easily get the bluesy mild distorsion sounds without having to drive the neighbors away. I think the amp's design characteristics which allow for that, also prevent it from having the big, clean open sounds of the Lonestar Classic. Probably the best you can hope for is to set it low and clean and mic it through your PA.

The new LSC with it's 10 watt setting allows for people who mostly want clear cleans to have their amp and get a piece of the LSS in the 10 watt setting.

The best thing about Mesa's are they can nail certain sounds no pedals required, but like every amp they cannot do two somewhat opposite things well.

Leroy the Massochist said:
I have had my LSS for 12 months now. I have finally dialled in some real smokin overdrive sounds and I am extremely happy in this regard.

The clean sounds at band volume however I am struggling with. I use an Epihone Dot Delux with Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck.

The clean at just below band volume is massive. The clean, no break up, using the bridge at low volume is huge. At band volume though it all becomes very compressed and thin.

Also I run the master up very high and the gain down low on the dirty channel which means I have volume matching issues with the clean channel.

Would be great to hear any solutions. After such a large investment I do not want to hear I should buy a Mark III to get that big fat clean sound. There must be a way with this amp.

Solution, get an LSC....2 Yellow Jackets (EL84s)....then in full 100 Watt mode you'll have the chime of EL84s mixed in with the power and upper head room of the 6L6s.

I had the same issue as you when I had my LSS's....got tired of the compression at higher volumes...and the additional cab doesn't really help that much...tried that too.

Back