LSS Channel 2 Mystery

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leroy the Massochist

Reaction score
I have now had this amp for 3 years. Nearly sold it a few times mainly because of the difficulties with the low mids of Channel 2, an ongoing discussion on this board and the reason for reader mods (which my amp dude wouldn't do because of the warranty).

I have been looking at all the 5 and 15 watt amps on the market particularly the little Vox head, Marshall Class 5 and now the Boogie 15watt.

Then a lightening bolt hit me. If the sweet spot of this amp is above band volume, if you have not turned it up real loud that is master and volume at 2 o'clock go and do it the amp changes, why don't I run it at 5 or 15.

Last night we were trying new bass players. The first guy rocked in with a semi trailer of gear and was really loud, I ran my LSS at 5 watts but it was a bit to gainy for me and had to turn down the treble and turn up the mids. Clearly the big mids and thick thicker switch are for running the amp at volume on the lower wattage settings.

Ultimately I ran the amp at 15 watts as the following o'clocks:

Drive 10
Gain 10
Thicker engaged
Treble 1
Mid 9
Bass 9
Presence 12
Master 1
Volume 12

The thing was bright and clearly a top end amp sound, certainly not muddy (at 5 watts was too thin and bright but I did not have time to adjust the eq because of our schedule) With the Tele it was very Tom Petty/Counting Crows and with the Humbuckers was well just classic rock not too much gain not too brittle and bright plus a big bottom end. Touch sensitivity was outstanding, perfect for playing ACDC Ride On (sorry we are getting excited in Oz with the big tour only a few weeks away) In fact the sound I got with the humbuckers was very much like Rock'N'Roll Train (the drive, elasticity/bounce, the bass the balanced mids (note I use the JB Seymour Duncan bridge humbucker)), so if you would be satisied with that type of sound out of this amp have a crack at the above.

Bottom line is my discovery (which may be obvious to some but I have perused this forum for a long time and not seen much discussion on using the wattage and thick switches just lots of puzzled discussions about the mud and modicfications) is if your amp sounds muddy you are not running it loud enough so switch down the wattage. You will then need to crank up the mids and use the thick or thicker settings. If your master and volumes are not up around or over 12 you will get mud. Make the volume adjustment with the wattage and your band won't be telling you to turn down. The amp makes sense to me now (derr after 3 years and looking at buying a 15 watt amp when I have got one with a flick of the switch). Clearly the amp is designed to be run hard that is why at low volumes it is muddy.

Sorry for the big rant but after three years this was a momentus evening can't wait for my next gig.

Glad you found your way with the amp. I know my LSC needs a bit of volume to get to its happy place, and it's much easier to get there if I'm on the 50w setting. It's also why I use lower-powered tubes, it just gets me there without absolutely killing my ears. The different power settings definitely have their place. That said, I think my amp's sweet spot is just a few clicks above bedroom level. Seems to really sing there. I also bounce back and forth between the Tweed and Full power settings. Really depends on the scenario.

And it's also right on that you can benefit by EQing for the situation -- huge, huge thing with the right presence of mind. Sometime what normally seems like your optimal amount of Bass ends up getting lost in a mix, but you can make it better by adjusting other parameters -- trying to compensate with more bass usually just muddies things, and backing off and/or making relative adjustments to the other settings (especially Mid & Presence, I find) usually brings you right where you need to be for that situation. It's been said.. but it's all in the ears.

I just have to make the obligatory comment. You really should look into the reeder mod on ch2. Grab a soldering iron, do a few practice runs on some cheap wire and then give it a shot. I was having all sorts of problem with muddiness and now I find it pretty easy to coax amazing tone out of ch2. If you're happy with your tone now then you're all set. But I guess it's just something to keep in the back of your head.

Latest posts

Back