Loss of bass in dual rectifier 100watts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hurley_125

Reaction score
Hi, im new. Im from Chile and some time ago I bought an used Mesa dual rectifier Multiwatt. I like the sound but since I bough it I think it doesn't sound as I thought. I think it hasn't an enough amount of bass even on the max position. ¿What can be the problem? ¿Tube problems? ¿How I can identify a tube problem?

Thanks in advance.

What type of cab do you have it plugged into? How loud do you have it turned up?

It could be tired tubes. You can test to rules this out. In order to troubleshoot tube problems you need known good tubes that you can substitute in each postion that you are testing. Mesa has this page with all the infor they usually put in their product manuals and there is a video there that follows the same methodolgy:
https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/216599018-How-can-I-troubleshoot-tube-issues-
What are the best tubes models to use for the rectifier dual when I want to use the el34s?

a mesa dual rectifier 4x12 standard slant.

go into modern mode and put everything at noon. are you still lacking bass?

if you're pushing a 4x12 you can't really judge "how it sounds" unless there's some volume.

…..if you're pushing a 4x12 you can't really judge "how it sounds" unless there's some volume.
I couldn’t agree more. The Rectifiers sound their best when cranked, especially with a 4 X 12. Yes, you can great low volume tones, but nothing like when the amp is cranked. The amp and speakers smooth out and really bloom in the low mids and high bass frequencies.

Dom

I couldn’t agree more. The Rectifiers sound their best when cranked, especially with a 4 X 12. Yes, you can great low volume tones, but nothing like when the amp is cranked. The amp and speakers smooth out and really bloom in the low mids and high bass frequencies.

Dom
even just generally speaking, 4x12s don't give you much until you're up to drummer volume (in my experience, anyways)

There is a persistent myth that Rectos need to be loud to sound good. Not so. My Single (series 1) and Dual (three channel) sound lovely (with more than enough bass if I dial it up) at living room volume through 412, and both my Roadster 2 x 12 combos (one 6L6 the other EL34) are just as lovely at low volume.

To the OPs 'no bass' problem I have no solution as I've never had that issue.

Also no recommendation for EL34s. I do think that tube rolling esp. when looking at the same type power tube is over rated. That said, I do test and match all tubes that go into my amps, but that's to be sure they are fit for purpose and evenly paired.

There is a persistent myth that Rectos need to be loud to sound good. Not so. My Single (series 1) and Dual (three channel) sound lovely (with more than enough bass if I dial it up) at living room volume through 412, and both my Roadster 2 x 12 combos (one 6L6 the other EL34) are just as lovely at low volume.

put the closed back panel back on a roadster, put it on the floor (as long as the roadster still has its V30s). plug the Single into the roadster's cab, go to channel 2 red on any setting, dial it in however you want (or just start at noon on everything and maybe 1:30 on gain) but turn the channel master up to noon and the global output to at least 11 o'clock. start out standing *beside* the cab and then slowly walk in front of it while you play, about six or eight feet in front of the cab. this way you won't shock your ears down right at the start.

that's what the amp is supposed to sound like.

Hi, im new. Im from Chile and some time ago I bought an used Mesa dual rectifier Multiwatt. I like the sound but since I bough it I think it doesn't sound as I thought. I think it hasn't an enough amount of bass even on the max position. ¿What can be the problem? ¿Tube problems? ¿How I can identify a tube problem?

Thanks in advance.
If your amp has no technical issue, if it's just a question of taste, here is my humble suggestion : change the cab.

The Multiwatts has less bass than the 2 channels Rev G witch is the best for the fat low end. The multiwatts gives the tigh low end. Don't use the Recto cab here but a cab with front loaded speakers as Diezel made them for example. A Matamp or an Orange cab loaded with V30 or Heritage loudspeakers will give you a more balanced tone if you like it dark.
When I play a Multiwatts, I need a darker cab. The low end on the Multiwatt is pure **** ! It gives an articulate sound for djent, 7 or 8 strings guitars. It's not made for doom...
With the Rev D, F and G, I use Bogner 412 V30 cab for the shred, Engl Richie Blackmore 412 V30 cab for thrash, Friedman 412 cab (2 Greenbacks + 2 V30) for the classic rock. They are better than the Mesa cabs (I own 2 of them for others amps). The cab act like an natural EQ. This is probably the best way to fix your issue. I would not play the Greenback speakers here.

Every Recto has it's own tone, they all sound different. I own 3 Ref F and they have not the same sound at all. Maybe yours suffer a lack of bass...

Last but not least. Don't play EL34s, it cuts the low end. The 6L6 is a must have to get the tsunami sound :

If your amp has no technical issue, if it's just a question of taste, here is my humble suggestion : change the cab.

The Multiwatts has less bass than the 2 channels Rev G witch is the best for the fat low end. The multiwatts gives the tigh low end. Don't use the Recto cab here but a cab with front loaded speakers as Diezel made them for example. A Matamp or an Orange cab loaded with V30 or Heritage loudspeakers will give you a more balanced tone if you like it dark.
When I play a Multiwatts, I need a darker cab. The low end on the Multiwatt is pure **** ! It gives an articulate sound for djent, 7 or 8 strings guitars. It's not made for doom...
With the Rev D, F and G, I use Bogner 412 V30 cab for the shred, Engl Richie Blackmore 412 V30 cab for thrash, Friedman 412 cab (2 Greenbacks + 2 V30) for the classic rock. They are better than the Mesa cabs (I own 2 of them for others amps). The cab act like an natural EQ. This is probably the best way to fix your issue. I would not play the Greenback speakers here.

Every Recto has it's own tone, they all sound different. I own 3 Ref F and they have not the same sound at all. Maybe yours suffer a lack of bass...

Last but not least. Don't play EL34s, it cuts the low end. The 6L6 is a must have to get the tsunami sound :

Thank you, do you know how to recognize visually if tubes are bad?

Are the Amp controls working or scratchy sounding when you turn them? Could be time to clean with deoxit. Perhaps take it to a tech to check it? Also, is the speaker cable in good condition? What gauge cable do you use?

You cant reliably check tube just by looking at them. Unless the glass has failed but usually that means no sound at all. Sign of wear would be faded markings on the tube, but that’s not enough. Get atleast on new preamp tube and pair of poweramp tubes, or use tubes you know are working (e.g. from an another amp). Try known good tubes in different slots until you find which is bad (if any). To save time and effort google tube layout and see what tube does what.

I’m doubtfull that someone would say any dual is lacking bass as an initial impression with 4x12 cab. While it may have less lows compared to some previous revision, it still should have plenty of bass. To the point that it’s really difficult to control in a mix. For me it is anyway. With 7 string i need to shelve some lowend with eq pedal otherwise is totally unbearable even though I have it running with marshall.

that's what the amp is supposed to sound like.

I think my rectifiers sound rad at living room volumes, much better than some other amps I had that indeed only sounded decent when loud (sold 'em all). Not saying that they don't sound just as good on stage, just that that's not what I'm hearing every day, and I very much like what I hear.

Back