Looking at vintage Marks

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ochrisl

Reaction score
So I was thinking of getting an old Boogie for some great 70's tones. I was thinking of a Mark I or II but III's are more plentiful and I think they may offer some better options? Also I like me some gain so although the classic tones may be great in a I or II will I find it lacking gain? Can I get that vintage Boogie tone (Santana) out of a MK III? I have a IV now but I am looking for something a little more "Classic" if you know what I mean. I love the lead tone on this guys video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3vfqkrb_pI

ochrisl said:
So I was thinking of getting an old Boogie for some great 70's tones. I was thinking of a Mark I or II but III's are more plentiful and I think they may offer some better options? Also I like me some gain so although the classic tones may be great in a I or II will I find it lacking gain? Can I get that vintage Boogie tone (Santana) out of a MK III? I have a IV now but I am looking for something a little more "Classic" if you know what I mean. I love the lead tone on this guys video-

The IV has the 2c+ circuit in it already does it not? If you don't have what you are looking for in the IV, you are not going to find it in the III. It is a more raw, less compressed, more aggressive amp than the IV. I don't have any experience with anything below a III and I do think the III is capable of those type of tones, but I'm willing to bet you will be further away from what you want than you already are from the IV.

Justice1988 said:
ochrisl said:

The IV has the 2c+ circuit in it already does it not?
NOPE!

It's quite possible the great sounds you're looking for are right there, inside the Mark IV you've already got. It's probably just a matter of finding the right settings and practicing enough with them. Probably not what you want to hear, but the Mark IV is a super flexible amp, and will get you close enough with enough work.

sduck said:
It's quite possible the great sounds you're looking for are right there, inside the Mark IV you've already got. It's probably just a matter of finding the right settings and practicing enough with them. Probably not what you want to hear, but the Mark IV is a super flexible amp, and will get you close enough with enough work.
Thanks.Your probably right.

The Mark IV is a lot more compressed sounding to my ears as opposed to a C+ or even a III. If you're looking for those fat vintage leads, I'd consider a IIB or IIC.

Latest posts

Back