Lonestar Classic or Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonanderson23

Reaction score
I had finally settled on a Lonestar Classic head but recently I was reading about the Road King. The versatility sounded great but the price tag didn't. I owned a Blue Angel a few years ago and I liked the progressive linkage. My band covers almost all types of music except metal so I need versatility. We do blues (clapton, walter trout, traditional), classic rock (skynyrd, allman brothers, gov't mule, bad co., zz top etc.) country and jazz. Can the Lonestar with a pedal or two handle what I need here? The wattage changes (10, 50, 100) are a great option since we play small clubs, to smaller bars, to outdoor venues. Can the Roadster handle what the Lonestar can with added options and channels? Is the 50 watt setting on the Roadster still too much power for small bars since you can't open it up enough to let the tubes do their magic? I need some help here. I live in a part of the country where I can't just go to GC or other dealers and play them. It's several hours of driving. Any input is appreciated!

Well, I have a RK II, and have had the LSC in the past. I sold the LSC because the RK II has the LSC cleans.

However, I just placed an order for a LSC Head/2x12 Cab. While I am not getting rid of the RK II any time soon. I found that there is a vibe about the real LSC that is not there with the RK II (I suspect the same about the Roadster as they have the same cleans).

The RK II/Roadster both have great cleans......but I think the cleans are only about 90 - 95% similar to the actual LSC.

So your decision should be based on what is it you're looking for in the amp. If its the best cleans and Texas tone, then stick to the LSC

If you want ultimate versatility, then go for the Roadster.

I will warn you, however, that the Roadster sound less like the real LSC than the RK II (the combo version, that is).

We do blues (clapton, walter trout, traditional), classic rock (skynyrd, allman brothers, gov't mule, bad co., zz top etc.) country and jazz. Can the Lonestar with a pedal or two handle what I need here?

From the gigs I've done already, the LSC can do this with no pedals.

stick with the LSC..... while you could get the tones your looking for out of the roadster the LSC is a better fit..... personally i think roadster and RKs are for people who want the classic tones out of channels 1 and 2 but also need the brutal high gain sounds out of channels 3 and 4... not to say channels 3 and 4 wouldnt be useful to you, but the LSC is just a way better fit for what you're doing..... best bet for you would be to find a way to test drive either the RK or Roadster and see for yourself what would be the better fit

you dont know you need 4 channels until you have them :wink:

for people looking for a ton of different tones in one amp that does them all well find what they're looking for in the RK/Roadster

you just can't beat the road king. Yes it's a tad pricey but provided the build quality will stand the test of time the thing is the only amp you should need for a long time to come. The lone stars have that awesome warm tone that just sounds amazing. The road king has the same thing, plus offers the higher gain stages as well which I also needed for gigging purposes.

This is actually the first boogie I've ever owned but in my 30 years of playing have owned dozens of marshalls and some fenders. Never in my life have I seen such a versitile amp that had such incredible tones as I have with my road king.

One tip - thus far I've never really changed the tube settings from the settings suggested in the manual which I assume as what they are set as on the roadster. The roadster is several hundred less and would probably serve your needs just as well.

Before I bought y Stiletto I went through a month renting a Road King. I used Channel one and two 99% of the time and 3 or 4 once i a while.

I dont think everyone needs 4 channels

Get the Lonestar if its distortion tone is important to you as I don't believe the Roadster does this, atleast to attempt would require a boost pedal into channel 1 tweed mode.

Get the Roadster if Recto (heavy blues/hard rock/recto lead) tones are important.

I use my Roadsters channel 2 in fat mode for vintage-like clean and channel 1 in tweed mode for a low gain vintage-like blues tone. Channel 3 for medium gain hard blues recto tone, channel 2 for high gain recto lead or hard rock.

I have a RK II -- love that amp.

However, I also just ordered a LSC. While the cleans are very very similar in both amps.....the RK II is not 100% LSC in channels 1 & 2, The base tones are about the same.....but not the reverbs, and the lead channels. I play more of the Texas Blues style, R&B and Jazz.....and in those instances I prefer to just deal with the two channels on the LSC. The Clean tone in the LSC is more 3D than it is on the RK.

But if you can only shell out for one...and need those recto tones then the clear choice is the Roadster/Road King.

Latest posts

Back