Lone star special or classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

this is been ask before but can anyone guide to which are the main differences between both amps in terms of clean and thick distortion.

i had try the LSC Head and loved it!!!!! right now i am able to buy a LSS Head from a local online store... can the LSS Head get the same fenderish clean and thick distortion as the LSC? i understand the LCS has 6l6's as oppose to EL84's in the LSS.

any help will be appreciate it.

thanks

The LSS is more British flavoured. Does well at crossing into Marshall/Vox territory, but retains it's own sound as it's not a clone of either.

I've owned/used an LSS head with Celestion Blues in a 2x12 cab for 3 years now and have tried out the LSC in store for extended periods of time. Whenever I do try the LSC, I am surprised in spite of the tube difference, how much the channel 2's of both amps are similar. I find more differences in Channel 1 between the two. The LSS is an EL84 tubed amp but it still sounds more Fendery on Channel 1 than Vox-y to me.

Steve73 said:
Whenever I do try the LSC, I am surprised in spite of the tube difference, how much the channel 2's of both amps are similar. I find more differences in Channel 1 between the two. The LSS is an EL84 tubed amp but it still sounds more Fendery on Channel 1 than Vox-y to me.

This has been my experience as well, but I will also point out that the LS series is darker than fenders typically are. It's a unique voicing and I like it a lot. I always found that it was difficult to get balanced sounds on fenders across all pickup selections. With the LS, there's more uniformity (and less compression).

screamingdaisy said:
The LSS is more British flavoured. Does well at crossing into Marshall/Vox territory, but retains it's own sound as it's not a clone of either.

This is also true. It's british flavored in terms of voicing but it behaves almost like a fender. Its weird to try and explain but it kind of has the best features of both lineages.

Even though the LSS is EL84 based, I'd call it a stretch to say it much more than a light British accent (ar ar). It's way more Fendery than Voxy or anything like that. It's its own beast, really. More like a UK expatriate who has been in the states for 30 years.

With the right preamp tubes, one could alter the breakup character a bit, which might make the EL84 flavor a little more pronounced. But if you like the thickness that the LSC has and are worried about sounding too British with the LSS, don't. It's much closer to the LSC than a Vox.

That said... the LSC has an oomph that the LSS doesn't quite carry, partly due to 6L6 vs EL84, and partly because of the relative amount of power. The LSS isn't a lot quieter, but it has less clean headroom. If that's a consideration. Pushed, the differences will be more obvious.

salvatruco said:
this is been ask before but can anyone guide to which are the main differences between both amps in terms of clean and thick distortion.

i had try the LSC Head and loved it!!!!! right now i am able to buy a LSS Head from a local online store... can the LSS Head get the same fenderish clean and thick distortion as the LSC? i understand the LCS has 6l6's as oppose to EL84's in the LSS.

any help will be appreciate it.

thanks

If you love the LSC head DO NOT buy the LSS.........they are two completely different amps. Both are great!!! Don't get me wrong but if the LSC sound is what you really like then go for that.

The LSC has more girth in tone! And much more clean headroom!

Thanks everyone for your inputs and experience with this two monters.......

i am going to try both for a while when ever i can.... and try to take my time deciding which one will work for me.

amazing amps!!!!!!! tough choices :wink:

thanks

Make sure you try them out at volume. Master at least 11 o'clock but preferably 2 to 3 and volume at least at 10 but preferably at 2 (if too loud reduce the wattage and re eq) and also try out the solo tone or solo feature turned off so you get pure solo tone (the non solo tone is like a compressed version of the solo). If loop engaged make sure the loop volume at the rear is no higher than 12 as it adds gain and mucks certainly with the LSS's clean head room.

At this volume the amps are cleaner, bouncier, brighter and first class. Playing with volume below 9 0'clock particularly on channel 2 is too much dirt and too muddy. Like driving a Porsche in peak hour traffic.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back