Like EL34s, going back to 6L6s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramerxxx

Reaction score
Anyone run EL34s for a while to realize that this amp sounds better with 6L6s?

I tried EL34's for a few months and really enjoyed it. I went back to 6L6's and I found I liked them better than I had the first time when the amp was new. I believe that having the time away from the 6L6's and going back to them later helped me really appreciate them. I don't necessarily think the amp sounds "better" as much as it sounds different and I appreciate the option to switch between the two tube types. I will say that with the EL34's I spent most of my time in Ch 2 on crunch mode. With the 6L6's I spend most of my time on Ch 3 in Mark IV mode, and I favor Ch 1 cleans with the 6L6's as well. But I really haven't found a tone I like in Ch 2 with the 6L6's. If it were possible, I wish I could have EL34's for Ch 2 only and 6L6's doing the rest.

DrummerChas said:
I tried EL34's for a few months and really enjoyed it. I went back to 6L6's and I found I liked them better than I had the first time when the amp was new. I believe that having the time away from the 6L6's and going back to them later helped me really appreciate them. I don't necessarily think the amp sounds "better" as much as it sounds different and I appreciate the option to switch between the two tube types. I will say that with the EL34's I spent most of my time in Ch 2 on crunch mode. With the 6L6's I spend most of my time on Ch 3 in Mark IV mode, and I favor Ch 1 cleans with the 6L6's as well. But I really haven't found a tone I like in Ch 2 with the 6L6's. If it were possible, I wish I could have EL34's for Ch 2 only and 6L6's doing the rest.

Thanks.

I think the leads sound great with the EL34s but I think the cleans suffer a little. I'm going back and forth on the rhythm sounds.

DrummerChas said:

+2
It's killer that Mesa makes so easy to switch tubes and every once in a while I throw in the EL34s and goof with them for a bit. As DrummerChas said, channel2 comes alive, but 1 and 3 take a hit IMHO. The amp feels different with the EL34s, not bad just different. But I can't do without Tweed and 6L6s!

thanks for the replies.

I have 6L6s in my Dual Rec and EL34s in my Mark V. I'm going to switch them today for a while and see how that works on both amps.

I liked 34s mainly for Ch2 Mark I and somewhat for Ch3, but in the end didn't think the improvements were worth the loss of depth in Ch1, so I switched back to 6L6s. But the difference wasn't anything most people would really notice, and if someone showed up at my door with EL34s, I'd have no problem putting them in. Don at Haggertys did a comparison video and shows that there really isn't much of a difference.

Upgraded both of my Tremoverbs to SED =C=.

One has EL34s and the other has 6L6s.

I use both amps together in stereo.

Both tube types have their place, but for now I am favoring the EL34s.

This is based on what my ear wants to hear depending on what I am playing.

This will be different for everyone.

I am focused on tight lows with medium mids, not really "scooped" (more mids than a normal recto, but the Tremoverb is voiced differently than all the other rectos, so this is possible) and sparkly highs that do not shreak or fizz.

I use Diode/Bold and clone the Orange to Red.

I also use Gain/Mid boost in front of the amp and EQ in the FXLoop.

I will say that both tube types used together is killer and the wall of sound is amazing and balanced.

Latest posts

Back