Leather Handle Ripping

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tle4

Reaction score
My Leather handle on my LSC 2x12 has tears in it and it is still under warranty. Mesa sent me another one but I dont want to change it if it is just going to tear again. I use the handle alot to lift it into my truck for gigs. I dont think the handle will actually break because it has a metal strap that goes through it. Is it common for the handles to tear on these amps because of the weight? ..... Or should I just put on the new handle? Is there an aftermarket heavy duty handle that would fit the same holes and be stronger? It dont need to be leather.

Maybe a Fender-style "dog bone" handle?
They're not an exact match - you will probably need to use the LS's brackets.
These don't have the "Fender" logo:
http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/foxweb.dll/catalog@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?PAGE=SUBCAT&SEARCH_TREE01=CABINET&SEARCH_TREE02=08_FENDERH

That looks like it could be a possible solution. Do you know if the dogbone handles are reinforced with a metal strap like the mesa strap? I would hate to put one on and the rubber rips and the amp drops. I may just install the handle Mesa sent and see what happens. If this one rips, I am still under warranty and I guess they will have to keep sending handles.

I don't think they're reinforced, but it's not a soft rubber, and I doubt they would need it. No stitching to unravel.
Good luck.

BigMac5 said:
Mine is ripping also, I'm just going to order a replacement from Mesa.

Are you still under warranty? They just sent me a new one under warranty. I told them it ripped and they said ok.... we will send you another . I gig this amp though and I wouldnt mind putting something else on while I gig it if they are just going to keep ripping.

They sent me a new one...I put it on, end of story.. 80 lbs...whew...it lasted two years and about 150 gigs...I would really be cautious about a PLASTIC handle for these amps..they are heavy..they do have a metal strap in the center of the leather cover.

Both handles on my LSC and LSS started ripping after about a year - Mesa replaced both and I haven't had a problem since (it's been about 5 years). Knock on wood, of course...

Do you use the handle alot to lift the amp Scienceguy? I probably take the amp out once or twice a week and lift it into the back of my truck. The handle is the only place I can get the right leverage to put it in sideways into the back seat I am just going to put the one on that Mesa sent me than see what happens then. Worst case scenario, they will have to send me another.

tle4 said:
BigMac5 said:
Mine is ripping also, I'm just going to order a replacement from Mesa.

Are you still under warranty? They just sent me a new one under warranty. I told them it ripped and they said ok.... we will send you another . I gig this amp though and I wouldnt mind putting something else on while I gig it if they are just going to keep ripping.
I'm not sure if I am still under warranty. I bough the amp used off Ebay.

tle4 said:
Do you use the handle alot to lift the amp Scienceguy? I probably take the amp out once or twice a week and lift it into the back of my truck. The handle is the only place I can get the right leverage to put it in sideways into the back seat I am just going to put the one on that Mesa sent me than see what happens then. Worst case scenario, they will have to send me another.

If I'm lifting it, it's by the handle. I use the wheels when I can.

I bought a replacement handle. Is the process just a matter of unscrew the old one and screw the new one in from the top or is there more to it that that?

Yea.... just unscrew from the top and screw the new one back in.... Pretty simple

Latest posts

Back