Just got my Mark V head....its terrible

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocknRory

Reaction score
TERRIBLY FUCKING AWESOME :twisted: :twisted:

Did I trick any of you guys? Ok so my head came in today and ive been posting on these forums a lot. The Mark V was extremely EASY to dial in for me, even the mark I! I found all channels amazing, but I have yet to try Edge. Im running it thru a 4x12 cab with broken in V30's (did it myself) and its beautiful. I'm actually usin a ESP EC-1000, which has an EMG 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck, and it still has beautiful cleans (mind you that i modded the guitar with 2 9v batteries to increase headroom and eliminate the stereotypical EMG sound, its great) I had my doubts about this amp doin modern metal, i thought it was a old school amp for old metal. Am I blown away, that is bullshit! This amp can achieve devastating modern metal tones, without anything but the amp. I have a Menatone Red Snapper overdrive, and using it on some channels, like the Mark I, I can get crazy good metal tones with deep thump, but I like to avoid using my OD as a rhythm channel, and only for leads. Im in love with this thing, everything. I'm not joking, I might find a problem later, but as of now, i havent found a single problem. Great metal tones, modern and old school, great marshallesque rock tones, and beautiful cleans, covering blues and everything. Im so glad I got this over the roadster, dont want that anymore!!!

any tips? btw this is stock tubes, i have some preamp tubes and a rectifier coming from dougstubes and ill experiment with stock some more before i try em but ****, it can only get better!

Congrats on the new amp!

I'm also finding the Mark V to be an amazing amp. I've owned my combo now for about 5 months and I'm every bit as excited about it now as the day it arrived, perhaps more so.

Have fun!

This amp is great! I need to write down my settings so I can change them on the fly though. this amp sounds much better at a decent volume, and soars at high volumes (lows are still kickass though, flip the 10w!) Ive got some pounding modern tones out of it. Oh, one question. I probably wont be able to fix it, but how can I get this amp to get GOOD pinch harmonics? my old amp could do them fine, but the mark sounds pretty dry, even with a overdrive

Congrats man! i am getting great tones out of this amp love it! but no modern tones yet. Great old school, but not modern.
So i got a recto to mix between the two. (by the way i do think its worth noting that old-school is a broad term though we use it often.. lots of different tones)

Primarly i prefer the old school but recently im liking modern tones too. if you ever get the chance to post a vid or som of a modern tone with the mark id be greatful as i havent been able to achieve that yet; maybe it will help.

Either way congrats again and enjoy man.

So any solutions to pinch harmonics? Its not a big deal but I'd like the squeels to be awesome!. I like the mark v better than the rectifier sound. Its very aggressive and has mid range punch! Its not hard to get a more modern tone mate. its probably better to have a closed back 4x12 to get more of a punch. Mark I can get pretty modern on channel 2. but mark IV and extreme are both awesome. Use diode rectifier settings and get the presence up to give it a nasty snarl ong with treble but don't overgain it. The mark v doesn't have anywhere near the same bottom end as the rectifiers but that doesn't mean it doesn't have killer bottom end. Its very in your face of you adjust it right. Sound also depends on where you stand in front of the amp or to the side and speaker type and guitar etc. I use emgs with the 18v mod. Esp ec-1000 deluxe, love it. Also varies on your playing. Be aggressive and you don't need as much gain! Metal is generally aggressive so tear it up!

RocknRory said:
So any solutions to pinch harmonics? Its not a big deal but I'd like the squeels to be awesome!. I like the mark v better than the rectifier sound. Its very aggressive and has mid range punch! Its not hard to get a more modern tone mate. its probably better to have a closed back 4x12 to get more of a punch. Mark I can get pretty modern on channel 2. but mark IV and extreme are both awesome. Use diode rectifier settings and get the presence up to give it a nasty snarl ong with treble but don't overgain it. The mark v doesn't have anywhere near the same bottom end as the rectifiers but that doesn't mean it doesn't have killer bottom end. Its very in your face of you adjust it right. Sound also depends on where you stand in front of the amp or to the side and speaker type and guitar etc. I use emgs with the 18v mod. Esp ec-1000 deluxe, love it. Also varies on your playing. Be aggressive and you don't need as much gain! Metal is generally aggressive so tear it up!

try to increase the MID in the preamp

The Mark V is the only amp I have ever owned that got better as time went on. Most amps are amazing right when I get them, then over the course of the next few weeks, the honeymoon wears off. This amp just keeps getting better for me.

Hendog said:
The Mark V is the only amp I have ever owned that got better as time went on. Most amps are amazing right when I get them, then over the course of the next few weeks, the honeymoon wears off. This amp just keeps getting better for me.

Totally agree, and also I'm improving every day with the V.

bryan_kilco said:
I havent played a V, but I'll just take a guess and say that pinch harmonics come from the fingers, not the amp!

This is true but I can already do pinch harmonics and was able to get very good sounding ones on high gain channels on my old amp, im just wondering if i can really let them rip on the mark V. They work well on the rectifier series, but really, i wouldnt consider this amp lacking if i couldnt do a good pinch harmonic on it. Actually i can make them on the D G B strings but the thick low E string, gives me trouble. I can make it sound, like always, but it isnt full :? i need to tweak!

As for improving with the V, I notice that my playing sounds a little more powerful, and not just because of the amp change, but because of the technique i use differently, and this is only the beginning of day 2, ****!

Hendog said:

This has been the case for me with my Mark V so far (five months since it arrived). I've also experienced this for five years running with my Fuchs ODS.

Man this amp sounds good even with all modes at 10w for solo practicing! Anyone got any suggestions to make pinch harmonics better? the mid knob doesnt do anything.

Not sure what to tell you about pinch harmonics. I don't find them to be hard to get on either channel 2 or 3. Maybe put a very slight boost with a tiny bit of dirt in front of them amp. That could help.

I can get them, but I cant get sweet pinch harmonics like Killswitch engage kind (like on my curse) check that song out and tell me what you think about getting killer ones like that, thanks!

Heres the music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPW9AbRMwFU

Is that even possible with this amp :lol: ?

Just thought id share some pics!

832_0403.jpg

832_0404.jpg

832_0405.jpg

Simple setup, sweet amp!

Back