Just blew both speakers in lonestar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agefender

Reaction score
Yep last night on my 6th gig.One farted enough to get me through the last song.Th amp was second hand- 100watts. Ive never had the amp past 5 master and output.Is this unusuall or am I just a deaf B@$!ARD. The amp tech I took it to said he could get speakers from The company once called 'American Speakers'? for a third of the price of the c90 s (mesa is dearer than poison in oz) The speaker company is now in indonesia. He told me they are better than the c90's anyone heard of these.Or have I been spun a pile of....... Any sugestions on some replacement speakers for my Lonestar induced broke arse would be appreciated :cry: :lol: thanks for the great site

Thanks for the reply mr you I bought it second hand. I dont think warranty applies, Though it is in mint condition-two years old.Only gigged by me Maybe your right i should ring the guy who sold it to me. Ive only had it for three weeks.Setting the output and master at 12'oclock shouldn't be too much for the speakers to handle?

Yeah thanks Carlie I just Rang the Australian distributer on your advice warranty has been voided. since I bought the amp second hand. He said that he has never had a speaker blown in the lonestars he has sold and thetre must be something wrong with the amp. Thou the tech i took it to (he is the liscenced fender repairman in my area) Said there was nothing wrong with it Two new speakers will cost around $700.00 au Looks like the lonestar will be very lonely for a while. dissapointing to say the least. :!:

You should be able to buy speakers off eBay for $75 each, even with post to Oz you'll come out WAY ahead.

I have a pair of Madison 12" speakers that I will send you for free. Just cover the freight and they are yours. They came in a Madison 2x12 cab and I replaced them with Emi Wizards. They are good speakers with high power rating, I just wanted something a bit less punchy and more smooth sounding that what they were giving me. Drop me a pm if you are interested.

agefender said:
I just Rang the Australian distributor on your advice warranty has been voided. since I bought the amp second hand.

Sounds like that distributor just doesn't want to deal with it. Mesa's warranty is TRANSFERABLE. I'm looking at the tag that came on mine right now. It says - 5 years parts and labor, 3 years on speakers, 6 months on tubes, transferable to subsequent owner. I wouldn't give up just yet. If the amp is only 2 years old, call Mesa directly and see what you should do if your local distributor isn't interested in helping. You have the serial number. They should be able to figure out manufacture date from that. Good luck!

Thanks all for your suggestions and kind replies.I sent an e-mail to mesa as this is the procedure they require for international owners.In the mean time My tech returned my call and insisted the speakers he can get for 110 dollars are better than the ones in it. I went with that though i find it hard to believe he said he has sold hundreds with not one bad comment. when i get them i will put them through a few different amps a friend of mine just bough t 2 greenbacks so it will be interesting to compare.It is I bit disappointing that i will not be using the speakers mesa had in mind for the amp If mesa doesn't come up with anything I will keep my eyes open down the track. Thanks again all ...there are some good people on this site.

Why did you buy speakers when you could have had warranty replacements for free?

You never should have blown your speakers to begin with. The two speakers can handle 180 watts total and your amp, wide open, should only put out 130 or 140 watts total.

Yea I'm still trying with mesa.I also have an old crate i blew both speakers in years ago by misusing them The 12's I use in my back up rig which is a Marshall 9200 with a digitech 2112 are very old fender specials. I figured if mesa came through for me the others could find a home. If they sound good I was thinking down the track when i get more$$$$ together I could build myself a four 12 cab for my Marshall and run both sides of the power amp. I was thinking also later on i would get a tri-axis or an old quad preamp. but first things first i just want to get the lonestar up and running and the new speakers will be in by Tuesday. The clean channel is infectious you know :) BTW thanks for the info- that answered my question I didn't think i played it too loud.The only thing im concerned with is the new speakers are 8 ohm in Parallel would be four. I wonder if there is a difference in sound of 4 0hm output to 4 ohm load compared to 8 ohm to 8 ohm :? some people say mismatching the ohmage on the lonestar gives better tone( pluging 8 ohm load to the 4 ohm output) though not to my ears.

well I just want to close this topic by saying even though the speakers turned out to be not covered by warranty? mesa said they would replace them. I am blown away and fully converted.

I still can't believe you blew the speakers. I have never blown C90's, even when I ran my old MKIII Coloseum through them in a 2x12.. :shock:

yea ursinus, definitely something wrong with the amp my tech didn't pick up. Gigged with it tonight sounded like **** buzzing out when it gets pushed May have stuffed the interim speakers. Played through a F 50 and a 40 year old fender amp Last night yes I was reminded what good tone sounds like. :cry:

Try going to www.avatarspeakers.com, they sell Eminance and Celestions and sometimes you can find some speakers that were just demo speakers for a cab on a hell of a discount, give them a try.

ursinus said:
I still can't believe you blew the speakers. I have never blown C90's, even when I ran my old MKIII Coloseum through them in a 2x12.. :shock:

+ :shock: :shock: :shock:

Latest posts

Back