JP2c not enough gain/thin sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've already sent the amp back in for repair, although it's a shame I didn't realize that the amp had this issue when I initially purchased... Oh well :x When I get the amp back I'll update this thread with new sound clips using the same settings just for others who may be interested in the sound.

Thaymz said:
Have you heard back at all on what the issue might be?

Yep, in fact I just got my amp back from being repaired and I've been able to record some new clips! It turns out that there was a bad relay which caused improper separation of the channels. I've been playing it and it sound like a DREAM now (although the original settings need some tweaking because they sound way too bassy now with the extra gain).

Here's another clip with the original settings:
https://soundcloud.com/jacob-j-153339694/jp2c-repair

and another clip I recorded just for fun with some different settings:
https://soundcloud.com/jacob-j-153339694/the-mirror

I'm actually blown away by the sound now, it's like a completely different amp that I'm playing.

Hey there,

Funny I just came across this thread as I have been experiencing what seems to be a similar issue. I just got a JP-2C off of Reverb a couple of weeks ago. I’ve only played it a few times but last night at practice I was thinking to myself that it seemed to lack saturation on Channel 2. I have the gain at 3:00 and I’m using the classic V shape EQ. I have Shred mode off and I believe I have Presence pulled. It feels like it’s choking somewhat, especially on individual notes. If I play a power chord, it sounds full and crunchy and tight with a lot of power but those individual notes, especially if palm muted seem like they have a lot of initial attack but then just choke off.

I’ve only just changed the power tubes and haven’t touched the preamp tubes but perhaps I need to look into that. It’s one of the earlier versions for sure which still has the FX Loop issue that Mesa acknowledged and is fixing. I’m going to have the fix applied but was wondering if perhaps I have another issue like you had?

What was the specifics of your issue, a relay? Did you just send it in to Mesa and have them do a once over on it to verify if it was operating properly or not and that’s how they found the problem?

Thanks!

I had gone back and forth with mesa for a bit and they had mentioned it was probably tube issue until I happened to stumble upon the ch1 volume affecting ch2/ch3. IMO I'd reach out to mesa and see what they have to say. However, most of the gain comes from the pre-amp tubes so if you haven't replaced those I'd definitely give that a try!

Back