James Hetfield's 2008 rig pix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flextones? The Line 6 amps?

I know James used his usual Mesa gear along with a Wizard Modern Classic with Wizard 4X12's on Garage Inc.
I've read they experimented with Line 6 products as well, not sure what Line 6 stuff made it to record.

nonetheless, Garage Inc has a great guitar tone! :mrgreen:

Whenever I see a picture of a mesa with the scooped V, I get very sad :cry:

Why do so many people waste great amps?

YEAH....
and i always wonder why folks don't go after their OWN tones, instead of trying to ape someone elses.

just don't get it.

gonzo said:
YEAH....
and i always wonder why folks don't go after their OWN tones, instead of trying to ape someone elses.

just don't get it.

Says the man with a scooped-mid EQ as his avatar :wink:

I agree that the Load-Garage Inc tone was the high watermark. I can get pretty close with my Mark IV. The secret is in raising the 240 and 750 sliders.

Says the man with a scooped-mid EQ as his avatar

heheh, well i didn't say i don't use the GEQ to craft tones....

but my comment is solid.
i don't sound ANYTHING like james hetfield, and that's by design.
point is, that GEQ setting changes track by track, when i'm recording....
and it's a great tool!

but you can play a strat and marshall, and NOT sound like jimi, you know what i mean.

but some folks haven't figured that out yet.

i hope they can bypass all that silliness of trying to nail someone ELSE's tone, and just simply focus on what they like of their own.

because that's where their voice is.

not in hetfield's rack.

adamlanghans said:

Yeah, Marks don't do the scooped thing very well. The whole meat of it's voice seems to be in the mids. Thats why recto's are such great metal rhythm amps. All lows and highs.

ryjan said:
adamlanghans said:

Yeah, Marks don't do the scooped thing very well. The whole meat of it's voice seems to be in the mids. Thats why recto's are such great metal rhythm amps. All lows and highs.

Not my oppinion.

My c+ gets more midrangy when it gets cranked up, even with the 80 hz slider bottom out, havever with the 80 hz up i agree its better for solo work , but for rythme playing im alwasy nere the bottom that brings out the metal chunkiness magic.

I do havever have my midrange dial above four all the time, that really thickens up the sound and is the key to the midrange magic and not the 80 hz slider IMO

Really? My Mark IV seems to get more scooped the louder it goes. The lows get bigger and the highs get loud. I guess it's all about how you play. 95% of the time if my amp is on, I'm playing with a drummer, bassist, and second guitarist so my idea of a good guitar sound will be polar opposite of someone who plays by themself. The hardest part for me is to get a good rhythm chunk and still have the beef to play quick single note runs on one channel. Life is a compromise. :lol:

ryjan said:
Really? My Mark IV seems to get more scooped the louder it goes. The lows get bigger and the highs get loud. I guess it's all about how you play. 95% of the time if my amp is on, I'm playing with a drummer, bassist, and second guitarist so my idea of a good guitar sound will be polar opposite of someone who plays by themself. The hardest part for me is to get a good rhythm chunk and still have the beef to play quick single note runs on one channel. Life is a compromise. :lol:

That happens mainly because of whatever speaker/cabinet you use and the room you play in.

I agree about changing your tone for a band setting. The only thing I change, though, is the highs. They affect the human ear differently at louder volumes. That, along with most clubs having too much high-end reverb, and the cymbals giving a large amount of high end, makes for a lot of hearing damage if you don't do anything about it.

adamlanghans said:
ryjan said:

That happens mainly because of whatever speaker/cabinet you use and the room you play in.

I agree about changing your tone for a band setting. The only thing I change, though, is the highs. They affect the human ear differently at louder volumes. That, along with most clubs having too much high-end reverb, and the cymbals giving a large amount of high end, makes for a lot of hearing damage if you don't do anything about it.

Maybe you are right , i use marshall 1960 BV, the are focused but much more midrangy then the rcto cabs i have tried.

ryjan said:
The hardest part for me is to get a good rhythm chunk and still have the beef to play quick single note runs on one channel. Life is a compromise. :lol:

The RC Booster pedal got rid of the compromise, for my Mark II/EV combination. 8)

Back