It's really a GoodLander

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarebitusa

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got around to playing a Badlander 50. I've been intrigued for a while to check one out. It certainly did not disappoint, in fact it exceeded my expectations. There certainly was a quality to the gain structure that was pleasing and transitional thru the voicings, especially Crunch to Crush. It had note clarity and that nice sizzle sustain with that escalating feedback. Very controllable gain saturation and so easy to dial in too. The tone stack was responsive and surprisingly linear in its operation. The cleans were nice, not quite as lush or as deep as my LSS or V but quite usable. Most of all it was easy to play, forgiving, didn't have to fight it. No frills, to the point and in comparison to say the VII, cost effective. I never even got to testing the Cabclone deal, but I've heard enough to know it's a excellent feature.

I think Mesa did a really nice job on this one. If I didn't have a V:90 and 3 other Mesas already I would have gone for it. This one had el34s, but I could hear how 6L6s could be preferred. Anyway FWIW it's a Goodlander in my book :)

I figured you would say that. The Bad is a good amp in many ways. It is quite different from a traditional rectifier amp, no cold clipper so swamp you out. I sort of wish Mesa had made some compromise to include the cold clipper in one mode and the hybrid in another. I think some from the Rectifier camp may like or dislike the change. There is no replacement for the Recto if that sound is your desire. Probably easier for the Mark camp or TC camp to adopt than for the Recto crowd. Mesa could have easily marketed this amp in its own series. Actually I am curious to see what comes of this. Would be cool to have some throwback to the Recto in combination with the hybrid circuits. That would have made everyone happy (assumed). I love the Badlander and no regrets having two of them.:)

Well folks the GAS overwhelmed me... plus the seller just made an offer I couldn't refuse. Digging this beast big time. The Cabclone IR is a really nice feature, works well.

Attachments

• balander_50.jpg
    balander_50.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 0
Back