Is the Mark V 25 just as super sensitive between guitars?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfx70

Reaction score
One of the issues for me (I realize that it might actually be a good thing for others) with the Mark V is its super sensivity between guitars. I usually play 2 or 3 guitars during a long gig (all humbucker based) and I gotta tell you I almost have to go to the amp to fiddle with it for every guitar change to ensure it sounds good - Gain and EQ.

My Roadster is not like that - it's pretty forgiving.

So my question to the Mark V 25 owners: do you see this issue on your amp?

I do like the sound of EL84s - I bet the cleans sound a little fatter on the 25w than that its big brother.
Thanks

One is a PRS DGT (all stock), another is an LP with DiMarzio Paf 36th Anniversary set, and a Godin with an SD Jazz in the neck and Custom Custom in the bridge.

Is it the pickups in the PRS that have higher volume?

I have also similar issue. I my Washburn I have Seymour Duncan JBJ bridge and '59 neck.
In my Sterling by Music Man JP100D I have DiMarzio CruncLab and LiquFire.
The volume in my Sterling by Music Man is higher than my Washburn, not much but there is a different.

I think that PAF pickups have lower volume than newer hotter pickups.

2B

I have the Mark V 25, but I have also tried the guitars with the Mark V with the same result.

2B

Get a good compressor. A little compression goes a long way and can really balance out your guitars. I use a single-coil tele, a humbucker tele, a tele with actives, various 6 and 7-string humbucker guitars. I switch back and forth with no problem.

I generally find that when I use a lot of gain it takes care of itself, but for lower gain (I am running ch2 of my Mark V:25 at 9:00) the compressor helps.

I am using the comp built into my G System, but I also have a Carl Martin that does the job nicely. You don't want a limiter, just a bit of squish.

I know that a compressor will do the work, but the downside with compressors is that the sound will loose dynamics and they also loose a bit of the organics.

This is only how I see when it comes to compressors. If anyone likes the sound with it or it helps, then it's ok for that person.

2B

I used to switch between a Strat and a Humbucker guitar. I dialed my amp in for the humbuckers and used a Tone Burst pedal as an "always on" pedal when I switched to the Strat. Worked great.

I have the Mark V.. I had the same issue with guitars. Mine was with two teles. Same pickups in both guitars but one is a (not stock) blond 52 reissue and the other is one that I built piece by piece. It has 3 pickups. Two Tele pups in the front and rear (same exact pickups as the Blond) and a strat in the middle. Due to the wood differences in body and neck one is very bright one is kinda dark. Switching between them took a little tweaking on the amp before I got a compressor.

A little compression is what I use. I don't find any dynamic loss and my playing is dependent on running the volume. I hate doing the dance. I run the compressor about 40% blended and the volume transparent. Channel 3 can go from sparkly clean to over the top drive just using the volume on the guitar, with or without a compressor in front of the amp. With the compressor I actually found little subtle things I did came up front. Cleans have more chime. I have stopped using Reverb or a Chorus pedal. When I want a little chorus I'm only using the little chorusing button on the Carbon Copy pedal cause the amp sounds sooo good with nothing. Well nothing but a little compression.

Here is a little funny. So I'm at the boogie shop asking questions deciding if I should buy a compressor because I read about everything and many artists use them. I ask questions, all about them, then I ask well, who in here uses a compressor? Everyone in the shop used a compressor. So I bought the Xotic SP compressor. I love it and leave it on.

The Mark amps are sensitive so a little compression goes a long way. Just as when adjusting the amp with your ears not your eyes. Is your compression resistance in your mind or your ears? I would say give a good compression pedal a try you might be surprised.

+1

I use very little compression (2.5:1) with fast response. I find that any more does mess with dynamics, but any less gives me problems with consistency.

Revealing the difference in pickups is a good thing! I'd be pretty disappointed in any amp that didn't clearly reveal the differences in my pickups. If I'm paying big money for PRS with 57/08s, 59/09s. NF3s, or if I switch to the super hot pickups in my MM JP12 BFR or the vintage wind singles in my Tokia strat, I want to clearly hear differences every time I switch. My V25 immediately shows things pretty clearly, which is great!

If you are switching between guitars with different output levels of pickups, the most common thing to do is get a clean flat boost pedal and set it to boost the lower output pickups up to the highest output pickups level. Set your amp up for the high output pickups and boost the other guitars up to that level with the pedal when you switch to the lower output guitars.

Latest posts

Back