Is my fifty/fifty darkmod'ed or not - how can I tell?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_truelove

Reaction score
I got a used fifty/fifty that I just love, but I find it a bit dark at times. Do you think it has been modified or is it supposed to sound like this? I do like the tone of it, but I'm kind of curious.

Cheers!

4Draw said:
Do you mean the Deep mod?

What year is your 50/50?
That might be it! I just heard it second hand so don't expect me to be on the nose on everthing :wink:

I believe it's an '89 with that pre-stage for low level input.

Edit: Correction: It's a '90. The pcb was made in '89 though.

Basically, it's a mod they did to make it more voiced to the Triaxis, it added low-end. This came stock on 50's since ca. '92. So that could very well explain why your fifty seems to be voiced a bit more 'darkly'.

Seeing as yours is an '89 one, it is very possible it was simply modded, which was done quite a lot.
------

Face your fifty from the front, now look along the right side of the amp, are there screws sticking out of the grating? Can you see a silver boxshaped thing behind the grating, being held there by the screws? Or do you see this when the amp is opened up? That would be the choke filter and would indicate it is deep-modded.

4Draw said:
Basically, it's a mod they did to make it more voiced to the Triaxis, it added low-end. This came stock on 50's since ca. '92. So that could very well explain why your fifty seems to be voiced a bit more 'darkly'.

Seeing as yours is an '89 one, it is very possible it was simply modded, which was done quite a lot.
------

Face your fifty from the front, now look along the right side of the amp, are there screws sticking out of the grating? Can you see a silver boxshaped thing behind the grating, being held there by the screws? Or do you see this when the amp is opened up? That would be the choke filter and would indicate it is deep-modded.
No, I can't see anything of the sort. Nothing looks changed or out of place; both left and right sides are clean. It might be the make or age of the valves that's behind it I suppose. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back