IIC+ To buy or not to buy?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule#1

Reaction score
Hey guys I have the opportunity to buy a IIC+ SR in white tolex. It is a 60 watt with reverb but no EQ. The serial # is 132xx so it appears to be an original C+.

The downside is no EQ. Does any one know if mesa has any original faceplate and EQ's left? I thought I read in one of the threads Mike B. sold the last one. I'm leary of buying one without the EQ.

mule#1 said:
Hey guys I have the opportunity to buy a IIC+ SR in white tolex. It is a 60 watt with reverb but no EQ. The serial # is 132xx so it appears to be an original C+.

The downside is no EQ. Does any one know if mesa has any original faceplate and EQ's left? I thought I read in one of the threads Mike B. sold the last one. I'm leary of buying one without the EQ.

well, the lack of EQ should be reflected in price, so it could always be a good starting point to find out if at all you like the amp and maybe use an external EQ ? if you like it you can always sell it again and get one with EQ (or quite simply keep it, because you like it). if you don't like it, just sell it again. they pretty much hold their values, as long as they don't get too much tampered with. that said, I personally would suggest to just leave it as it was built 27 years ago. its made 27 years as is, so maybe compare it to buying a plexi marshall and then hot-rod it because you want more gain ... :(

^ This.

It's still gonna be an amazing amp, and you can always run an outboard EQ in the loop if your heart desires, but these days i've found I can get the SAME tones with no EQ in the loop and crank the volume. Mesa wasn't lying in the manual when they said they designed the amp around NOT having an EQ. Just takes way more tweaking, but there are some "special" sounds you can get easier with an EQ.

SonicProvocateur said:
^ This.

It's still gonna be an amazing amp, and you can always run an outboard EQ in the loop if your heart desires, but these days i've found I can get the SAME tones with no EQ in the loop and crank the volume. Mesa wasn't lying in the manual when they said they designed the amp around NOT having an EQ. Just takes way more tweaking, but there are some "special" sounds you can get easier with an EQ.

This is very interesting.
Could you please share your settings and tips to get those same tones?

I think i know the one you are talking about, it's at a music shop right? with an EV thiele cab? test it out.... they have it nicely priced. If i was closer I would really think about it. you should have no trouble selling it to break even, and would probably even make money... if you wanted to flip it

scott

zodiac272 said:
I think i know the one you are talking about, it's at a music shop right? with an EV thiele cab? test it out.... they have it nicely priced. If i was closer I would really think about it. you should have no trouble selling it to break even, and would probably even make money... if you wanted to flip it

scott

Yep that's the one. I cant believe it's still there as I played it for a few minutes a year ago. I'm going to go there this week and check it out.

Bigmouth is actually the one who helped me get some more "juice" flowing in my 60 watter non-eq by cranking the lead master and letting the Master do the work instead of just leaving the Lead Master at 2-3 and setting the Master to taste. It drives the power tubes harder and adds more "umph" to the 60 watters (especially in the midrange) that you can really feel.

Try this on the lead channel for starters:
Volume: 7, pulled
Treble: 8.5, pulled
Bass: 2, pushed
Middle: 4-7
Master: pulled - Crank it until it rocks...
Lead drive: 6-7, pulled
Lead Master: 3-5, pushed
Presence: 4-7. As I understand, the IIC+'s presence control is much more sensative than the III's...

SonicProvocateur said:
Bigmouth is actually the one who helped me get some more "juice" flowing in my 60 watter non-eq by cranking the lead master and letting the Master do the work instead of just leaving the Lead Master at 2-3 and setting the Master to taste. It drives the power tubes harder and adds more "umph" to the 60 watters (especially in the midrange) that you can really feel.

Try this on the lead channel for starters:
Volume: 7, pulled
Treble: 8.5, pulled
Bass: 2, pushed
Middle: 4-7
Master: pulled - Crank it until it rocks...
Lead drive: 6-7, pulled
Lead Master: 3-5, pushed
Presence: 4-7. As I understand, the IIC+'s presence control is much more sensative than the III's...

Thanks for the info and settings. I'll try that out!

Here another option with an EQ in the loop.

Vol 9.5, pulled
Treble 8, pulled
Bass 2, pushed
Middle 2
Master 2, pulled, set it at will
Lead Drive? 8.5, pulled
Lead Master 2.5, pushed
Presence 6

rcastell

I have a loaded simlu C+ and a 60watt reverb no Eq C+. The 60 watter is my favorite for blues, Light rock fusion. jazz, country. the loaded one is nice ( actually is amazing) but isn't as fluid with the lead chaanel. read once john petruccis favorite lead amp was the 60 watter no eq too. I think the loaded one is popular because of Metallica and Jp's live rig. which i think they manly used as a pre amp..

I would get it if you like lots of different styles. but if you want just metal. the eq makes the cake,

Shep said:
I have a loaded simlu C+ and a 60watt reverb no Eq C+. The 60 watter is my favorite for blues, Light rock fusion. jazz, country. the loaded one is nice ( actually is amazing) but isn't as fluid with the lead chaanel. read once john petruccis favorite lead amp was the 60 watter no eq too. I think the loaded one is popular because of Metallica and Jp's live rig. which i think they manly used as a pre amp..

I would get it if you like lots of different styles. but if you want just metal. the eq makes the cake,

Hey Shep! It's interesting that Petrucci said that because I absolutely love the lead tone. It's got that classic fat liquid tone the amp is noted for.

Thanks to all for the setting suggestions. I have dialed it in more but will try these out. I have a gig tonight so I can experiment!

Latest posts

Back