If you were me, would you trade in your mark iv for a 5:25?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredding

Reaction score
So I have a nice tan grill Mark IV head that I had for years. For the past year I fell in love with my 5 and now I play less metal. I love how good the 5's clean sounds and the crunch channel sounds. I'm thinking about selling my iv for a 5:25 so i can carry it to places. What are your guys opinion on this?

4406cuda said:
I would only do it for a 3 channel 90 watt head.
I already have a mark v head for that purpose i guess. I can have something smaller. But will the iv be such a classic that one day I will kick myself for it? Or the opinion is neutral?

Go for it. Used prices for Mark IV's are pretty close to a new 5:25 so you won't be under water either way. \

Every gig I ever played with my Mark IV was on Tweed power in Class A so I'm sure 25 watts on the 5:25 will be plenty loud unless you're playing an arena gig without a PA.

ryjan said:
Go for it. Used prices for Mark IV's are pretty close to a new 5:25 so you won't be under water either way. \

Every gig I ever played with my Mark IV was on Tweed power in Class A so I'm sure 25 watts on the 5:25 will be plenty loud unless you're playing an arena gig without a PA.

I guess that's my only concern. We have a pretty loud drummer and I want to be able to cut through without a PA at least for rehearsals.

I would sell the lV not only because you have a V, but you'll play more having a new toy. Getting a new guitar or amp will get you playing more, and from the reviews I've read and seen for the mini, you'll love the thing if you like your V. Competing with another guitar player or a loud drummer may be a problem at first with the mini or 5:25 if you're used to a 90 watt amp. 25 Mesa watts is not that much less power than 90 watts. Think about how many times you've actually turn the master volume past 3 on your lV or V. After getting the hang of the mini, it may become your #1 amp. Modern day stage volume is half or less what it was years ago so I think this new lunch box amp trend is going to keep growing. I've been clamoring for a mini mark for years, I can't wait to get my hands on one.
Skip right on by the 5:25 and get the mark V mini!

I have an express 5:25 and have run out of volume with it. I wasn't being drowned out though, just needed a little more. I think adding a 1x12 cab would solve the issue, but that is more to carry.

My 5:25 is the older non plus which I am now looking to trade on the V:25. Tone wise, I don't think the Express really stands up to the Mark amps. That's not to say its a bad amp, but it is very different to a Mark. The plus version may be better, I haven't tried one. Personally the only reason I choose the Express over my ED or RA is for convenience.

The V:25 surprised me with how good it sounds and how well it holds tone across its volume range. I suspect it will be louder than the Express overall, as the Express tends to burn a lot of power in bass

shredding said:
4406cuda said:
I would only do it for a 3 channel 90 watt head.
I already have a mark v head for that purpose i guess. I can have something smaller. But will the iv be such a classic that one day I will kick myself for it? Or the opinion is neutral?

OK...i'm 51 years old started playing guitar at 6 years old, first time on stage I was 12 yrs old. I played a 1957 Gibson ES125T (sold it to get a strat, 1st stupid) I have had lots of gear over the years and I miss every piece of it. (Except for a Crate full stack Amp I bought in the 90s the company was crappy when I had a problem will never own one of those again.) From experience you will miss most every piece of gear, amp and or guitar you sell. I quit selling guitars about 32 years ago and gear about 25 years ago. I have a Kramer Focus 2000 that I bought new in 1983. I have played that guitar all over the world. I have repainted it 5 or more times. I , myself put new frets on it in the late 90s (great story on that with Mr. Valdez of Valdez Music in Hollywood). I put Tom Anderson pickups and electronics in it about 3 years ago. Yes it still plays and I have been thinking about using it again.

You will never miss something you don't get rid of. Regret is a bitter pill to swallow. If at all possible just buy the other amp, save up and buy it. Yes amps and guitars are tools of the trade and tax deductible but they are more than that. Clean up old equipment throw a cover over it, you will use it again.

im a couple of years older that oldtelecasterman and somewhat agree on the regret thing,,there are a few guitars i've sold in the past that i wouldnt mind getting back...such as life!!!! anyway i have a mini 5 on order that i have to wait a couple of weeks for,,,so im trading or going to sell my coveted 50/50 amp.and an ADA mp1.....i havent played them in years due to the fact i got a 2:90/triaxis rig and played that for a long time...then 2 years ago i got the MKV combo and never looked back...went from huge rack equipment back to a few pedals.... i think of it this way,,,some one will get good use of the 50/50 as i did,,,,so maybe i won't regret getting rid of the 50/50,,,and adding a brand new piece of mesa gear will be awesome,,,,,,,and as markedman says you will play more and have fun.....i was in a playing slump for almost a year and 2 months ago i bought a custom guitar from strictly7 guitars in ohio.....been playing everyday since.....so i cant wait to get the mini mark 5.........whew!!!!

Latest posts

Back