How loud is loud?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
Everyone always says you've got to turn your Mark III up loud in order to get its true tube sound. Well, how loud is loud? Master volume?

Sean

A little over 2 on the knob, not 2 o'clock on the master, and it really gets going at 3. It drives me up a wall when I have to play at a low volume with my Mark III, I actually won't use it at low volumes. I'm on a search for a rack amp to match my Studio pre amp that can be run at 5 watts so I can get the Mark sound at low volume.

I also hate running amps at low volume. I have a Mark IV but I would think it's similar. Bedroom volume sounds okay, but in no way would I showcase a Mark series amp at those levels. Even running Class A with the master at 3 is "cop calling" volume. :lol: I might try a power soak/attenuator.

"Loud" = The volume level that will get the cops called after 9pm or get you kicked out if you live in an apartment. You should be able to drown out a chainsaw if you have achieved "loud".

MrMarkIII said:
None. They don't sound any better than using the master volume.

Gotta disagree. Yes, you can get some great sounds at low volumes with the Master, but you're not giving the power tubes a chance to do their thing.

I had a rockcrusher and it sounded like crap with my rectifiers and mark IV, got better results with the master volume. The recorded tones where good though but in the room it just killed all the feel and connection between the guitar player and the amp.

Most of the tonal quality lost with low volume playing is due to the speakers not moving enough. Loading your power tubes with an attenuator won't solve that.

ryjan said:
Most of the tonal quality lost with low volume playing is due to the speakers not moving enough. Loading your power tubes with an attenuator won't solve that.

I have to agree. I received a THD Hot Plate attenuator as a gift (maybe someone was trying to tell me I was too loud?). At the time, I was only playing my Rectifiers. Although I could move the master much higher than I previously could, it didn't sound "deep" enough for me. The Hot Plate was a cool little gizmo, but in the end, I returned it because it didn't sound any better the keeping the master at a lower setting.

Moral of the story is we want out speakers to move air so we can feel what we play, and unfortunately, there isn't anything that I've seen of heard about that provides that feeling at lower volumes. So, I guess that means we need to buy amps that have a selectable wattage, or use modeling amps...or just go full on "Honey Badger" and don't give a #%&$!

Latest posts

Back