hook up to a mixing board

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfgang999

Reaction score
How would I hook up my dual recto 2 channel to a mixing board? Would I go from the fx loop send to the mixing board?

What are your intentions? If you wanna use the rectos preamp, then youd go from the slave out usually, and adjust the knob until you are at a good level, but youd need a cab simulator or something.

theaero said:
What are your intentions? If you wanna use the rectos preamp, then youd go from the slave out usually, and adjust the knob until you are at a good level, but youd need a cab simulator or something.

Intentions is to run through the PA system. What is a cab simulator.

your amp needs to be plugged into a load at all times or if not the output transformer will have nowhere to send it's signal and will blow up. Your speakers represent a load. A cab simulator or emulator or "dummy load" accepts the output transformer's load so everything can be safe.

You do not need an emulator. You can simply plug the amp into your speakers as you normally would, but in addition put a cable from the slave out to the mixing board. There should be noise coming out of the speakers when you do this.

Why not just Mic the speaker(s)?

A cabinet simulator is an "effect" of sorts that simulates putting a microphone on a speaker cabinet. It would get its signal from the FX loop send or better yet from the slave out. I don't think all cab sim's will accept speaker levels and most if not all of the cheaper ones that will DO NOT provide a dummy load so be careful there.

But you will still need to run a cabinet, so why not just mic your speaker?

Dom

domct203 said:

A cabinet simulator is an "effect" of sorts that simulates putting a microphone on a speaker cabinet. It would get its signal from the FX loop send or better yet from the slave out. I don't think all cab sim's will accept speaker levels and most if not all of the cheaper ones that will DO NOT provide a dummy load so be careful there.

Dom

I'm a noob don't know what the hell I'm doing.

okay, we'll keep it at a noob level--

why do you want to go straight to the PA?

Elpelotero said:
your amp needs to be plugged into a load at all times or if not the output transformer will have nowhere to send it's signal and will blow up. Your speakers represent a load. A cab simulator or emulator or "dummy load" accepts the output transformer's load so everything can be safe.

You do not need an emulator. You can simply plug the amp into your speakers as you normally would, but in addition put a cable from the slave out to the mixing board. There should be noise coming out of the speakers when you do this.

You still would need an cab simulator. Have you ever heard the raw recto preamp tone? It is NOT pleasant, lol. You need something to simulate a cab, otherwise its going to sound like FIZZZZZZZZZ

I would mic the cabinet. You want to ensure that the sound you’re hearing is the one being sent to the mixing console. I use a Shure SM57 to mic my cabinet.

wolfgang999 said:
domct203 said:

Dom

I'm a noob don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Most people will mic the cabinet and run that through a channel in the mixing board. You can get different tones by experimenting with mic placement. It's very easy and very flexible. Depending on the size of the gig, you could just play without going through the PA.

Latest posts

Back