Help me Choosing my IIC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigo1999

Reaction score
Allright, finally time to grab one of those beauties, but i have to choose between one of two amps. A friend here is letting go one of his IIcs. While he still dont knows which one, i wanna hear you guys about 'em and help me choose:

Amp A - IIC+ factory original (serial number 14306) 100/60w, non reverb, non eq, non simul

Amp B - IIC fully loaded, 100/60w, non simul

the price is the same for both amps.

thanks in advance! 8)

updated the features of or both amps 8)

Yeah, im leaning towards the IIC and then do the + mod . . .

although the guy said that the IIC+ original "core" tone is really better than the IIc version . . . and the loop is way clearer.

I'd go for the IIC.
About what the guy said, I see it this way: IIC+ owners who want to sell their amps will always tell you that an original will always sound better than a converted one (so that they can ask a higher price). This also works the other way round. To me, there's no evidence that supports the "fact" that a conversion is less of an amp than an original (some IICs even have the RP-11 preamp board which is the same one that was used in the IIC+).
Cheers!

P.s.: Besides, you can always get the + mod done, but if your amp doesn't have the Graphic EQ, the only way to add it is externally.

Choose the EQ one. I modded a IIC to a plus and also have an original C+, both simul class GEQ and reverb. You can't tell the difference when all parameters are the same. IE similar tubes, similar age of caps etc. The IIC has the RP10 board while the original IIC+ has the PR11 board. Only difference I can tell between the two is that one of them is brighter, but that's because of the bright reduction mod. If I raise the eq slider they sound identical.

The EQ model will hold it's value into eternity. But please buy it if you're going to play it. Though I have three of them I play them all, and it's a shame that the best sounding amp in the world is collecting dust.

Vigo1999 said:
although the guy said that the IIC+ original "core" tone is really better than the IIc version . . . and the loop is way clearer.

Having owned a IIC, which I then had converted to a IIC+, I'm assuming that the guy was refering to the tone of a IIC *prior* to having the IIC->IIC+ conversion. The IIC really is different from a IIC+ (or from the IIB, for that matter). The original IIC is kinda an orphaned freak of an architecture. For example, the way that the IIC effects loop was implemented is definitely crappy when used with the lead channel. It comes in a very weird spot in the circuit signal path. In my opinion, it really messes up how the gain stages are cascaded in the lead channel. It's weird. As a result, the lead channel on the straight IIC is nowhere near as good as a IIC+.

All this changes with the upgrade from a IIC to the IIC+. MikeB at Mesa actually rewires large sections of the pre-amp. As a result, the effects loop and lead channel are totally reworked. It makes a huge difference. I was very pleased with my upgrade.

That said, be careful about over-paying for the IIC. You should know that it'll probably cost you $600+ to send your amp to Mesa to have MikeB do the upgrade. He may quote you a lower price ($450 or whatever), but whiles he's mod'ing your amp, he'll probably decide to replace a bunch of other parts that have degraded over time. The extra parts (in my case, a new reverb tank and a quad of plain-jane Mesa 6L6's) added substantially to the bill. So, be sure to go into the deal knowing that the price of the two amps is NOT going to be "the same".

If I wasn't willing to spend the extra $600+ for the upgrade, I'd definitely choose the basic IIC+ over a loaded IIC. Without hesitation. The IIC+ is really that much better than a stock IIC. Even without the reverb and EQ on the IIC+, I could be very very happy with a basic IIC+ and a delay pedal.

Chip

Everything Chip says is true.

In my post I assumed you were going for the upgrade if you were to choose the IIC.
If you don't have that money, the IIC's lead channel and the FX loop sucks compared to the +.

Vigo1999 said:
Thanks AC!

I think ive made up my mind already . . . :mrgreen:

You're welcome! Best of luck with the purchase!
And as Tony said, Chip is spot on. I was also assuming you would be going for the mod.

Thanks a lot Guys!!!! 8) 8)

For example, the way that the IIC effects loop was implemented is definitely crappy when used with the lead channel. It comes in a very weird spot in the circuit signal path. In my opinion, it really messes up how the gain stages are cascaded in the lead channel. It's weird. As a result, the lead channel on the straight IIC is nowhere near as good as a IIC+.

that's what im talking about, you're spot on Chip!!

And yes, if i caught up the IIC I will do the mod, but im not willing to send her to Mesa in Cali . . . I will send her to my trustable amp tech here, otherwise I will spend around 500usd only in shipping back and forth (plus months to get it back . . .). If im not wrong the owner has the IIC+ mod schematics (got it from boogiebabes, the seller's also a member here).

If not, wondering if you can send it to me Chip! :p :p

and off course, im planning to use that mofo!! (although my beloved III will probably gather some dust then . . .) . . .it's almost 25 years of wait to get one!! :twisted:

Latest posts

Back