HEADS AND POWER AMPS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18&Life

Reaction score
Having a 50 watts amp on its max volume.
Having a 100 watts amp on its max volume.

I think 100 watts amp is louder.

1-So having less watts doesn't mean you have less volume ?
2-If not, less watts means what ?

So whem I'm buying an amp,what parameter will tell me what model is louder ?
If watts can't tell me it, what can ?
How will I know if the amp I am buying will be louder enough to fight against drums ?

If someone say you have to try all amps at the store,I will answer that saying ANY amp will sound very loud beeing played alone at the store.
So what parameter or measurement will tell me what amp is louder ?

:shock:

I'm sorry but I think it is a really good question.
Like me I think everybody when buying an amp think that watts will tell what amp is louder.

I always thought that way. :wink:

Thanks but as a recording engineer I knew it.What I still don't know is what term,measurement or parameter will tell me(us) what amp is louder tan the others. :D

decibel is the measurement, and if youre a sound engineer then you should know the math behind why 100w isnt necessarily louder than 50w

if i have 4 speakers pushing 25w a piece i would likely be louder than 2 speakers pushing 50w a piece because i can push more air with the added surface area of the speaker cones.

also, you forgot about whether youre talking about an open back cab or a sealed cab.

also you forgot that there is peak wattage, peak-peak wattage, and rms wattage.

i just hope you never engineer anything i record

Yeah you really missed my point as always.
You can't go to a store and crank all amps volumes and do audio measurements.
Are you dumb,I'm talking about real life on the streets,not about doing calculations on a deskboard.
Tell me how many teenagers think the louder amp is the one with more watts.
Everybody say(unexperienced people) get a 100 watts head,a 50 watts will not give you volume enough to rehearsalls.Your drummer will kill your 50 watts amp.
Got it now.
99% think watts as a volume parameter.
I think who knows the right answer will help a lot of people about it. :D

RJ2213 said:
i just hope you never engineer anything i record

I think if you heard what I have recorded those 17 years you'll beg me to record you.
But it doesn't matter. :wink:

I always looked at it this way. A 100watt head can drive more 4x12 cabs than a 50 watt head can allowing more volume to spead out over an area. As you add speaker cabs if you do not have the Amp watts to drive them you will lose volume. Does that make any sense? :roll: Yes , a 50watt head and a 100watt head will have the same volume to a point untill you start adding speaker cabs to the equasion.

I always looked at it this way. A 100watt head can drive more 4x12 cabs than a 50 watt head can allowing more volume to spead out over an area. As you add speaker cabs if you do not have the Amp watts to drive them you will lose volume. Does that make any sense? Yes , a 50watt head and a 100watt head will have the same volume to a point untill you start adding speaker cabs to the equasion.

Good point :wink:
But tell me something.

1 head with 50 watts and other with 100 watts with the same 4X4 cab.
If you put their volumes on max,wich one will sound louder?
100 watts head because 100 watts pushing harder the speakers.

Ok so watts does mean more volume,as watts pushing harder the speakers and you'll sound louder.
:roll:

I think , and I may not be right on this but. The 50 watt and the 100watt head on a single 4X12 cab will achieve to the human ear the same eardrum numbing volume. Add any more 4X12 cabs and the 50watt head will lose some volume and the 100 watt head with stay louder and clearer. So the WATTS of the amp allow you to drive more cabs. :shock:

Fret-Shredder said:
I think , and I may not be right on this but. The 50 watt and the 100watt head on a single 4X12 cab will achieve to the human ear the same eardrum numbing volume. Add any more 4X12 cabs and the 50watt head will lose some volume and the 100 watt head with stay louder and clearer. So the WATTS of the amp allow you to drive more cabs. :shock:

I see,so are you telling that If I'll use only one 4X4 cab,buying a 100 watts head will be a waste of money?

Meaning if they'll sound the same with one 4X4 cab,I (we) don't need a 100 watts head.
Only If I (we) will use more cabs ?
Interesting thought :shock:

Latest posts

Back