Guitar Amp Microphones??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubbs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 5:25 Express with the 10" and was curious what you guys/gals think would be the right choice. I have done a little research and narrowed it to the following units.

1. Audix i5
2. SM 57
3. Sennheiser e609 or e906

My current preference is the Sennheiser e609. What do you think???

Nubbs

All three mics u mentioned are awesome. I am gonna lean toward the shure though. If you have a preference toward one of the others go with that and im sure it will be as good as the Shure. no pun intended.

I have an e906. It sounds very natural. Like my amp but louder. I think the e609 would be fine.

I run a 57 and a 609 for my stereo rig. both are awesome mics, you can also check out a md421 its another awesome mic but its a little more money

nitrous2400 said:
I run a 57 and a 609 for my stereo rig. both are awesome mics, you can also check out a md421 its another awesome mic but its a little more money
+1, though I've never had the extra $ for an md421, I've read it's a great guitar cab mic.

You would probably be happy with either of those mics. I used the SM57 for years but got tired of dragging a mic stand along for it. Soundman did have one, but that's another story. When I saw the 609e and how I could just drap it down over my speakers I was sold. Especially after reading all the positive reviews. To me the 609e produces my guitar tone better than the 57 but not by much.

Another good one to put on the list is the Shure Beta 56A...basically the same as the good old fashioned 57, but in a more guitar friendly package. [no more bumping into the cable and messing up your perfect mic placement!]

-dave

If you can afford it, go with the 906. It has a dipswitch that has three positions: slight high frequency cut, flat, and slight high frequency boost. It is basically designed to be all three of sennheisers "x09" series mics. The slight high frequency cut is like a standard 609, the flat setting is like a 409, and the HF rise is like the 609 silver, which if i remember correctly is voiced similar to a 57. In my opinion, it would be the most versitile mic of the bunch. Hope that helps...

Make sure you've got a good mic preamp. I was using a Firepod for a while, and with my SM57 my recordings were flat, dull, and muddy. I recently upgraded to a Behringer unit, and though it's still really cheap and not what I'd recommend (I had it lying around from years ago), it's a huge improvement. Get a decent unit and you'll find that any microphone will get you a nice sound.

M-audio DMP3 was a great investment of $130 (back when I bought mine).
It has true phantom power (for cond. mics) and enough gain for the SM57.

They're $160 now, but they got 'em in black!
I want one!!!
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-DMP3-2Channel-Mic-PreDirect-Box?sku=241101

*EDIT* I'd about bet Full Compass could shave 10$-20$ off that price. :wink: 8)

all of those miced you mentioned , plus the sennheiser md 421 are great mics for guitar cabs. i just recorded guitars for our album and i used sm 57, audix i5 and e906(all of them sound good but each has its own character).
i find e906 to be more truthfully towards your tone, more neutral if you'd like than the e609 that is a brither ,harsher (more agressive).

Actually, the first question that I should have asked is are you using it for recording, live, or both?

No, forget all those cheap dynamic mics. Use only this, nothing cheaper: http://www.royerlabs.com/R-121.html

:D

Well, they do sound amazing.. anyhow, I'm using the e906, and I absolutely love it! Sounds much better to my ears than my SM57. But bottom line; you should try different mics and see what you like best. It's all preference. If you want to go more high end, I hear those Heil mics are **** good (PR40, 35 and 30).

Octavarius said:
No, forget all those cheap dynamic mics. Use only this, nothing cheaper: http://www.royerlabs.com/R-121.html

:D

Well, they do sound amazing.. anyhow, I'm using the e906, and I absolutely love it! Sounds much better to my ears than my SM57. But bottom line; you should try different mics and see what you like best. It's all preference. If you want to go more high end, I hear those Heil mics are **** good (PR40, 35 and 30).
Nah, don't settle for anything less than Neumann. :D

i switched from a 57 i had been using for 20 years to the 609 and am glad I did. Something gritty sounding about the 57 I didn't like and I never noticed it until I got a wireless unit and spent some time out front listening to my guitar.

Originally what I remember hearing, and what seems to me to be true is that the e609 is not as difficult on placement as is the sm57.
Both are capable of capturing more-than-adequately, just slight variations of flavor.

There's gotta be a reason the 57 is/was a standard though.... :? :|

Both mics are good, its only a matter of personal taste what mic you like the most.
But there is one important question, are you gonna use then live or in a studio?

Nubbs said:
Hi all,

I have a 5:25 Express with the 10" and was curious what you guys/gals think would be the right choice. I have done a little research and narrowed it to the following units.

1. Audix i5
2. SM 57
3. Sennheiser e609 or e906

My current preference is the Sennheiser e609. What do you think???

Nubbs

I use a Mesa Subway Rocket for recordings. Go to my player
http://www.bandmix.com/jw123/
and play some of the cover songs there. Plush is a good one. Les Paul,Rocket SM 57

The Sennheiser works great too, but Ive always relied on the SM 57, it works.

Good Luck

There are several better than what you mentioned. But from those three, I would vote AGAINST the Audix. I did not like the Audix sound at all.

I would try the 609 or 906 over the SM57. But for another $100 or so you could try an AT condensor, like a 2020 or a 2035. Even the budget ribbons will sound better than the budget dynamics.

Better yet, make a new list and pick any two mics!! 8)

Latest posts

Back