Got a single recto today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frets70

Reaction score
So I sold a Stiletto Deuce today (just not my thing) took the money to Guitar Center for black friday sale.
Plugged into a used Single Recto head--- I thought it sounded killer so I bought it $680 (good retail price I think)

Got it home looked at the serial number it says S50-00003x :shock:

Is this right #3x ? I would say a Series I no el34/6L6 switch.

Did they use a different serial number scheme for each series? I am not recto guru but now I don't miss my Mark III I traded earlier.

Recto experts chime in--I do know that low or high serial number this one sounds killer.

Cool thanks can't wait to crank it up!!!!!! Did the FX loop mod today--super clean inside.
Killer sounding clip fluff191!!

frets70 said:
Cool thanks can't wait to crank it up!!!!!! Did the FX loop mod today--super clean inside.

OFF-TOPIC -Great sound man, do you mind share your settings? I know that's got the FJA MOD.

Cool. I sold 2 stiletto deuce v2. heads a couple months ago. I missed the mesa thing, and already have my marshall bases covered, so i grabbed a single rec. Man i forgot how fun the recs are! Having a great time with mine. I paid 700 for a series 2 which is pretty good. I put some jj e34l's in it and they just happened to bias up at 39mv, Perfect! BIG DIFFERENCE! I have another set of the same tubes, but after i go through these in a couple years i guess it will be easier if i just do the adjustable bias mod. BTW Is there a link for doing the effects loop mod? I def. want to do that and the adjustable bias mod....
Have fun, rectos are great amps! But for me, i HAVE to hit them in the front with a tubescreamer type pedal for tightness and articulation. It used to bother me a long time ago that i would have an expensive (at the time)high-gain channel switcher that needed to be boosted, but i am over that. I can't think of many amps that don't sound better being hit with an od in front of it.

I do kinda wish my single had the Bias switch 6L6/el34 you know how loud an amp gets before 6L6s start to cream out :twisted:

IMO : I think that anybody who says these amps don't have enough thump (vs. a Dual) definitely hasn't turned the output up enough with a recto 412.

Here is the link to the FX loop mod discussion go to page 2 I posted a pic:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=50351&start=15

frets70 said:

Thanks sir!!

]devilRED[ said:
Great sound man, do you mind share your settings? I know that's got the FJA MOD.

Thank you! And I am pretty sure the settings were Bass, Presence and Treble were at or around noon on Channel 3, with the mids at 11:00. Gain boost pulled, with amount at about 10:00. Hope that helps.

fluff191 said:
frets70 said:

Thanks sir!!

]devilRED[ said:
Great sound man, do you mind share your settings? I know that's got the FJA MOD.

Thank you! And I am pretty sure the settings were Bass, Presence and Treble were at or around noon on Channel 3, with the mids at 11:00. Gain boost pulled, with amount at about 10:00. Hope that helps.

Noob Rectifier guy here, whats the diference between the second chanell and the third? Both have vintage modern and raw.

The second channel has a little warmer and has less mids. Other than that there isn't a whole lot of difference.

fluff191 said:
The second channel has a little warmer and has less mids. Other than that there isn't a whole lot of difference.
What would be more similar tho single rectifier, although i know that the singles are the most fizzy of the rectifiers, i'm having a bit trouble dialing it, i play death metal but i think i'm going for the vintage mode, the sound i would like to get would be something like the sound from the new Overkill album, although they're not death metal :) i really love that sound

]devilRED[ said:
fluff191 said:
What would be more similar tho single rectifier, although i know that the singles are the most fizzy of the rectifiers, i'm having a bit trouble dialing it, i play death metal but i think i'm going for the vintage mode, the sound i would like to get would be something like the sound from the new Overkill album, although they're not death metal :) i really love that sound

LMAO. I've owned 11 different mesas over the last 10 years. 7 of them have been from the rectifier line (duals, singles,rv,roadster). The single is my favorite, and easiest to dial in. I always used to set my duals up with bold/tight el34's and didn't mess much with all that other stuff, so a single this time around was my best option, plus cheap to retube. It isn't any "fizzier" than any other recto unless there is something wrong with it. And because it has no rec tubes and is 50 watts, means you can get the power tubes nice and hot without drowning out the drummer (unless you want to), and anyone that knows rectos, when you can get those powerubes working it tightens everything up nicely. It is the funnest and easiest recto i have owned, no more endless knob-twisting and switch-flipping, plug in and rip.

Latest posts

Back