Give me some of your Metal settings for Studio Pre...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottcrud

Reaction score
I've got a gig Friday night and plan on using my SP/2:90 rig. After two 1 hour sessions, I'm not real happy. It doesn't sound nearly as good as my .50Cal+ head. Not concerned about the clean channel, only the lead channel.

Down the dial's (l to r)
9-6(to taste)8-5-2-2-9-5(to taste)
V the eq with full 6600 and 3/4 80.
eq in
lead fat and bright.

TOOLGUY said:
Down the dial's (l to r)
9-6(to taste)8-5-2-2-9-5(to taste)
V the eq with full 6600 and 3/4 80.
eq in
lead fat and bright.

+1 here, although discount the reverb knob here when counting, unless of course you are using it. This will get you a good hairy tone to work with for sure.

How can you play with both volume and lead drive at 9? It's an insane (and not much usable to me) amount of distortion.
Since guitar makes much difference, I'll say:
Treble 7-10
Mid whatever you want, this control is so subtle. However I'll stay under 6 to avoid muddiness.
Bass 0-2.5
Volume and lead drive to your likings. (I use 6 and 7 respectively w/ an ESP KH-2, 4 and 7 w/ a Jackson DK2).
My two cents: graphic EQ set to V with 750 hz slider not too low.

How can you play with both volume and lead drive at 9? It's an insane
It's a TON of distortion. I love it. :wink:

Honestly until a few days ago I was using a solid state p.amp.
Now that I have the 2:90 I have had to re-adjust my pre settings a bit (gain being one of them).
That power amp adds some good flavor to the mix for sure.

Thanks for the suggestions. My settings were very similar except the Graphic EQ. That helped out a LOT! Just gotta tweak a little more, it's got a little too much sizzle in it.

scottcrud said:
Thanks for the suggestions. My settings were very similar except the Graphic EQ. That helped out a LOT! Just gotta tweak a little more, it's got a little too much sizzle in it.

If you are referring to gain "sizzle" back off on the gain, I usually have mine around 5-6 and get what I consider to be a nice heavy sound.

scottcrud said:
It's not gain sizzle, it's treble from the Studio pre or presence from the 2:90.

Right on. I run mine into a 2:50 and actually leave the presence controls at zero. Remember when you do alter the treble it interacts with the gain on the studio pre, so you may have to compensate on the EQ. But overall aren't they great units?? Once I got mine set, I spent tons of time just tweaking the darn thing.

I've owned 3 MKIII's a MKIV, 3 Recto's, a .50Cal+ and this is my third Studio Pre. I've always said that if Boogie made a head that sounded like the Studio Pre/2:90 a lot of people would buy it.

scottcrud said:
I've owned 3 MKIII's a MKIV, 3 Recto's, a .50Cal+ and this is my third Studio Pre. I've always said that if Boogie made a head that sounded like the Studio Pre/2:90 a lot of people would buy it.

Hell yes!! I'd be all over it. You definitely have some serious Mesa experience, I may come to you for ideas!!! Just out of curiosity what makes you keep coming back to the Pre, when you have owned all the rest? I have been seriously thinking about moving to a MK IV, but am afraid I'd really miss my Pre. Thoughts??
Thanks

Well, my MKIV must've been broken cause it wasn't nearly as cool as everyone who loves them makes them out to be. The Clean channel was among the best I've ever heard, problem is, I have little to no use for a clean channel. So that leaves the lead channel and to be honest I like the MKIII, .50Cal+, and Studio Pre's lead channel better.
My main amp is a highly modified 1990 .50Cal+ head. I took it to Kendrick amps here in Texas and told them it wasn't loud enough. I had them install 100 watt output and power transformers. And now it's powered by 2 6550's. Problem is, the other guitarist in my band uses a MKIII, which is a lemon, he's had it in the shop more than he's used it. He has no back-up, my back up is my Studio-Pre/2:90. He's using my .50Cal right now.
Why do I keep coming back to the Studio, it's simple, has a nice clean channel and a great lead channel, and it's simple like my .50Cal+ but with a few more options...

Gotta love the simplicity factor!! Of all the boogies I have goofed with the pre has been the easiest to get great tone out of, and those 2 channels are tough to beat. I think the only thing I might "add" is some sort of clean overdrive, just so I can push a little harder when I want to without increasing the gain on the pre itself.

Latest posts

Back