Gilmour tones with a mesa...?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floyd

Reaction score
For the past couple of months I have been trying to choose a tube amp, but I have not really been impressed by anything. A couple of days ago I tried an F-30 (i think thats what it was) at a guitar store and I actually liked it a lot. The clean channel was really nice.

I am really wondering if I can get a good david gilmour tone with a mesa boogie though. I really cannot afford a Hiwatt. I would be using the primarily for the clean channel, and I would use pedals for overdrive.

Also, what mesa would you recommend for a gilmour tone? I liked the F-30, but after doing some research it appears that the F series is discontinued, and replaced with the Express series. Do these express amps sound just as good?

Thanks in advance.

If your looking for a Mesa to accomplish this sort of tone you'd probably have to go with either a Lone Star Classic, Roadster, or a Road King II. Gilmour is one of my favorite guitarists and yet his sound is so simple and yet so inspiring. I have a Road King I 2x12 combo that I use in conjunction with a Marshall 2x12 cab and I can absolutely NAIL!!! Gilmour's sound. But, added to that I'm also using a Triangle version Big Muff, and germaniun transistor Fuzz Face and a Deluxe Memory Man (which in my opinion is the pedal which allows me to get his tone). Any of the 3 amps that I mentioned above can be changed from 6L6 tubes to EL34 which is another BIG factor in his tone.

what about the regular lonestar?

sorry....I don't know much about mesa boogie amps....

barneyc4 posted as link to an old thread that I submitted a link to some floyd stuff that I did back in October. I had moved the link in my post that gave an example of a Lonestar classic doing floyd, so you probably got a 404 error.

I fixed that link, but here it is again:
http://www.hedgecockmusic.com/Music/TheActionFigures/index.html

Chris... 8)

chedgeco said:
barneyc4 posted as link to an old thread that I submitted a link to some floyd stuff that I did back in October. I had moved the link in my post that gave an example of a Lonestar classic doing floyd, so you probably got a 404 error.

I fixed that link, but here it is again:
http://www.hedgecockmusic.com/Music/TheActionFigures/index.html

Chris... 8)

that was really cool...

Is the lonestar classic just the regular lonestar?

also, what is the difference between the regular lonestar and the lonestar special.

Check the Mesa website for detailed info:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Lonestar/LonestarINTRO.htm

The basic difference is that the LS special is an EL84 tone beast and the LS classic is a 6L6 monsta' tone beast.

I used the LS Classic on these recordings. These songs were live on the air at 6am in the morning, mistakes and all... :shock:

Chris... 8)

would a stiletto be able to get gilmour tones? They are mesa's "british" amps arent they? they have the el-34's too.

also, a roadking could use el-34's with the lonestar clean channels...but lonestars come with either 6l6 or el-84 right? Would the sound be much different?

sorry for the nooby questions hehe...big fan of gilmours tone though :D

Finnster said:
Try one of the new Express amp. I think the 5:50 will nail it.

Yeah...how do you think this amp would be for gilmour tones? Cause I don't know if I would be able to drop $1600 on a lonestar. The 5:50 is a lot more affordable.

I think by default it should be the Stiletto - EL34's, souped up brit sound, awesome overdrive all lead to HiWatt territory.

Floyd, for Gilmour tones you need the cleanest amp possible. It would be one of the Lonestars in this case.

You MUST have a Sovtek Big Muff
Boss BD-2 (for Shine On You Crazy Diamond stuff)
Delay
and a Boss CE-2 chorus pedal.

Gilmour does not uses distortion/overdrive from amps.

www.gilmourish.com

everyone check out this site for more info.

barneyc4 said:
Floyd, for Gilmour tones you need the cleanest amp possible. It would be one of the Lonestars in this case.

You MUST have a Sovtek Big Muff
Boss BD-2 (for Shine On You Crazy Diamond stuff)
Delay
and a Boss CE-2 chorus pedal.

Gilmour does not uses distortion/overdrive from amps.

www.gilmourish.com

everyone check out this site for more info.

He's used the Mark I for just that purpose actually in the past. Check out his live gear for the wall from that site you posted.

oh yeah I forgot about that.

Thats right.

I would still get the Lonestar and a muff though.

Hi.

Does anybody knows if the clean channel on the stilleto ace is like the Hiwatt's clean? I've read that have a great clean channel (Fat clean) for a "british-style" amp. The thing is that I don't know if its a clean like the Hiwatt's clean or like the VOX or Marshall or Orange.

If its more similar to Hiwatt maybe could be the right choice.

I have a F50 and I think it does a good job in cleans to nail the Gilmour's tone. :D

cheers

Another big part of the richness of DG's sound is a smooth compressor. I have the Demeter Compulator, and I can get reasonably close to DG's tones on my EBMM Luke and THD Univalve with a little attention to the tone knobs.

IMO the primary aspects of his tone come from:

1. The Strat itself
2. Compression
3. EQ on the clean amp
4. Delay

Oh yeah, and decades of practice and dedication.

The thing about DG is that you could put him on an F50... a MKIV... I HiWatt, etc... and he would still sound incredible. 99.999999% of players wouldn't sound as good even if they were using Gilmours gear.

My advice is to do like he did.... perfect your vibrato and bends. This guy is rumoured to have practised his vibrato and bends using a Conn Strobe Tuner... so that they would be perfect. Guy makes every note count and technique like that sounds angelic even on a less than perfect system.

Go find an amp you like...perfect your technique and develop your own sound based on what you hear from within...

Someone once told me.... if your mother can't tell who you are out of a group of guitar players by only hearing what your playing then you need to go develop your own style.

I once saw Steve Lukather play at G.I.T. and he plugged into an old beatup Lab Series amp that was kicking around (half of them didn't work!)... He sounded just as amazing as he ever sounded on any of the TOTO recordings.

Latest posts

Back