Gibson Zoot Suit - Cool Guitar or $1999 piece of plywood?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GD_NC

Reaction score
Seen this? - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Zoot-Suit.aspx

So...

Is it a cool new guitar or just plywood + good marketing?

Would you by a laminate guitar at any price????

I wouldnt play that if it were free. Come to think of it, all gibsons I've played recently have only been good for firewood. What the hell hapened to that company?

You know, I've heard a bunch of crap about Gibson quality lately. I gotta say I'm very happy with the Les Paul Studio I purchased eariler this year. It played great right out of the box. No issues that I can see. I've owned many Gibson guitars both old and new and from my experience they seem to have taken care of what ever issues they may have had at one time.

That said, I'm not sure why anyone would shuck out that kind of dough for this SG.

Hideous x 10.

Sort of likes an extremely half-assed attempt to replicate Clapton's "Fool" SG from his Cream days.

Zoot suit? What's 40's hep about a solidbody SG? :roll: WTF?

Kill it before it multiplies...

Are you kidding ME!!!!! That has to be the most ...Oh man, there's not even a word for that!!! (that I can spell) :shock:
Seriously...that attempt at woodworking class should have been left in the corner of the R&D lab! :wink:

Gibson is totally up their own a$$ these days.

They have like 50 different versions of an effing Les Paul Standard that are upwards of 3k in cost? Seriously?

And now this? It looks like a rainbow took a crap and Gibson put strings on it. Unbelievable.

I was going to buy a cheapy bang around guitar about a year ago and decided to look at an epi paul, sg, vee, or explorer. Just a half *** decent guitar for around $400. I played every epi at my local dealer and couldnt find a single one without serious issues, i.e. horrible fret leveling, shorting pups, dead frets, bad build/finish quality, etc. So I started grabbing the higher end Gibson branded guitars, $1500-$2500 range, and was finding the same issues. I brought this up with the owner of the store and he told me he tries to talk people into the Jacksons or Ibanezezes (is that plural for ibanez?) because of the comebacks with all the new gibson products. I had an SG about 10 years ago and it was one of the better guitars I've ever owned so I have nothing against gibson, hell, I tried my *** off to find a good one so I could buy it. Anyone else run into this? I dont think I'm too picky, to be honest, I dont play well enough to be super picky. :lol:

My first guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic I got in 2000. Along with it I also got a Marshall DSL 401. That amp crapped out on me in a year ( due to rectifier heating problems and has been in the shop since last year, I left it sitting in a corner for almost eight years...) and my Gibson got stole from me at Fort Hood in Nov 2007. It had been my first and only, I only realized how crappy it was when I bought a PRS SE custom that does everything I want it to do. It's Korean made, and cheap at 600 bucks, but absolutely kills the Les Paul Studio that cost more than double...

I saw this the other day in my new American Musical Supply catalog. I love the SG body style but I this thing is so ugly. Each shade is ugly! It's one thing for someone to make this guitar but then everyone at Gibson agreed that they should put them into production. I would hate to see what ideas they come up with that get turned down.

Turumbar82 said:
I saw this the other day in my new American Musical Supply catalog. I love the SG body style but I this thing is so ugly. Each shade is ugly! It's one thing for someone to make this guitar but then everyone at Gibson agreed that they should put them into production. I would hate to see what ideas they come up with that get turned down.

Well, if this P.O.S. (see link) is any indication it seems they don't let any idea get passed up. WTF is going on over in Nashville??? :roll:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/graveyard-disciple-819/

LOL! ^ That one looks like a shovel! A very metal shovel, but a shovel nonetheless.

Good god, the zoot suit one is horrid.

LOL - That SG reminds me of those funky knives they sell late at night on the shopping channel.

As for the coffin Zakk guitar....at least he actually plays it and it's not just a sales gimmick.
It's kind of like a plank of wood, like Bo Diddly's guitar or those old DelRay surf guitars with the wood panel pick guards.
I dunno, I guess it's true when they say one man's crap is another man's treasure. :lol:

Latest posts

Back