GCX, Ground Control Pro, Triaxis...F*&K ME!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaGod666

Reaction score
I recently decided to go all out and completely update my rig with a GCX, Ground Control Pro, and Dual Triaxis setup running into a Mesa 2:90 (or 20/20 depending my mood) so I could use some analog effects along with my digital effects processor. I had a pretty simple set up before, Abacus -> Triaxis (with Boss SX-700 in the loop) -> 2:90. It was a pretty rigid set-up, but I made do with what I had before I decided to start spending a ton of money on new stuff. HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WORK THE GROUND CONTROL TO MAKE IT CONTROL THE RIG. I ALSO DON'T KNOW HOW I WANT TO WIRE EVERYTHING UP. So, can any one with a little experience here help me out? Also, do I need 2 GCX processors to run this rig in stereo?

Below are pics of the rig in question...

6449_112650247459_506137459_2163348_8011578_n.jpg

6449_112650262459_506137459_2163350_5128329_n.jpg

5529_105692077459_506137459_2068009_3218053_n.jpg

that **** is a mess..

I "almost" went that insane route as well and decided against it. sold my tri and g-force and bought
a mark IV, a used gmajor and a rjm rg-16. grabbed some good quality pedals as well.
my new setup smokes anything the tri\2:90 ever put out and by using pedals with the IV I can
get any sound you could possibly want from sparkly clean to low gain blues to a crazy good
marshall-esque crunch (r2 + and mxr eq..who needs a marshall?) to all out boogie madness. and it was easy as **** to hook up
and dial in sounds.

i spend alot more time playing now then dicking around with a bunch of buttons. the last piece
for me is to upgrade my controller from an old lexicon mpx-r2 to something like a ground control,
all access or liquid foot.

good luck making that all work without ground loops, hum, fluctuating levels, midi nightmares and
everything else.

JohnDNJ said:
that sh!t is a mess..

I "almost" went that insane route as well and decided against it. sold my tri and g-force and bought
a mark IV, a used gmajor and a rjm rg-16. grabbed some good quality pedals as well.
my new setup smokes anything the tri\2:90 ever put out and by using pedals with the IV I can
get any sound you could possibly want from sparkly clean to low gain blues to a crazy good
marshall-esque crunch (r2 + and mxr eq..who needs a marshall?) to all out boogie madness. and it was easy as sh!t to hook up
and dial in sounds.

i spend alot more time playing now then dicking around with a bunch of buttons. the last piece
for me is to upgrade my controller from an old lexicon mpx-r2 to something like a ground control,
all access or liquid foot.

good luck making that all work without ground loops, hum, fluctuating levels, midi nightmares and
everything else.

Right on man. It's worked out pretty good thus far, this is just the first time I feel kind of stuck with this rig.

I usually gig with my Roadster or my Mark V, but this little project has been 5+ years in the making and now I want to finish it and the F**KING GCX and GROUND CONTROL is what's slowing me down.

Sounds like you need to get the manual out and do some reading. The GCX has MIDI Thru so you should be able to program the Ground Control to send signals to the other equipment in your rack. That's going to take some time working with the manuals though to find out how to send what signals to what equipment.

Here's a basic layout, check this out:

http://voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/04-Multiple_Preamps_Stereo_Loops_Stereo_PowerAmp.pdf

Danimal said:
Sounds like you need to get the manual out and do some reading. The GCX has MIDI Thru so you should be able to program the Ground Control to send signals to the other equipment in your rack. That's going to take some time working with the manuals though to find out how to send what signals to what equipment.

Here's a basic layout, check this out:

http://voodoolab.com/gcxdiagrams/04-Multiple_Preamps_Stereo_Loops_Stereo_PowerAmp.pdf

Thanks. I read the manuals in and out (they're like 15 pages of vagueness and generalities). That's why I'm here asking questions...

Plus, that layout doesn't include how stompbox effects could be factored in...

Going from memory, this is what I think you need to do. Patch cable from rear of GCX "Guitar in" to Triaxis in. Triaxis send into GCX loop 1 in. Loop 1 send to 1st pedal input.- Output from Pedal 1 to return of loop 1 -Out of loop 1 to in of Loop 2.- Loop 2 send to Pedal 2 input. -Pedal 2 output to Loop 2 return.- Loop 2 out to loop 3 in.-
Loop 3 send to pedal 3 input- Pedal 3 output to loop 3 return -loop 3 output to loop 4 input. Now for the stereo pedals.Does your Boss sx700 have stereo inputs? Is your Boss SX 700 true stereo? This means that if you put a stereo chorus through its inputs, the chorus will be panning in stereo. IF so, go from Loop 4 send and loop 5 send to the inputs of your se 20 stereo chorus. Run a cable From Loop 4 out to Loop 5 in. Go from the left and right outputs on your chorus to the left and right inputs on your Boss SX 700. Go from the outputs of the boss SX 700 to the Left and Right FX returns on the triaxis. Plug your guitar into the Guitar input on the front. Plug a cable from loop5 out to loop 6 in. Plug a cable from Loop 6 send to Tuner in. This will allow for silent tuning. I hope this makes sense to you. How are you using the second triaxis. I have 2 but I only use one. My setup is very similar to yours

Screamindv said:
Going from memory, this is what I think you need to do. Patch cable from rear of GCX "Guitar in" to Triaxis in. Triaxis send into GCX loop 1 in. Loop 1 send to 1st pedal input.- Output from Pedal 1 to return of loop 1 -Out of loop 1 to in of Loop 2.- Loop 2 send to Pedal 2 input. -Pedal 2 output to Loop 2 return.- Loop 2 out to loop 3 in.-
Loop 3 send to pedal 3 input- Pedal 3 output to loop 3 return -loop 3 output to loop 4 input. Now for the stereo pedals.Does your Boss sx700 have stereo inputs? Is your Boss SX 700 true stereo? This means that if you put a stereo chorus through its inputs, the chorus will be panning in stereo. IF so, go from Loop 4 send and loop 5 send to the inputs of your se 20 stereo chorus. Run a cable From Loop 4 out to Loop 5 in. Go from the left and right outputs on your chorus to the left and right inputs on your Boss SX 700. Go from the outputs of the boss SX 700 to the Left and Right FX returns on the triaxis. Plug your guitar into the Guitar input on the front. Plug a cable from loop5 out to loop 6 in. Plug a cable from Loop 6 send to Tuner in. This will allow for silent tuning. I hope this makes sense to you. How are you using the second triaxis. I have 2 but I only use one. My setup is very similar to yours

NICE! I will try this tonight.

There are a couple of things I would like to try with the second Triaxis:

1) Triaxis dedicated to cleans/Triaxis dedicated to crunch
2) Both Triaxis preamps with independant tone settings then blend those settings in stereo
3) Use different poweramps and preamps at the same time through different cabs to get more unique tones.

I just want the most unique tone achievable.

The triaxis is so versatile, that sounds redundant. Unless you want to blend cleans through 1 amp and cabinet with crunch through another amp and cabinetI wouldn't do it. You would lose the ability of stereo FX. I am thinking about changing one of my Triaxis' for a recto head and a 3rd cabinet in the middle. Triaxis in stereo with a recto center and blending all presets for a huge sound. Good luck and email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Dave

dude dont take this the wrong way but you are way overthinking this.....plug your ground control into the gcx and then run the midi out of it into the triaixs and then out of the triaxis into your effects and so on.....just make sure that each of the units are prepared to recieve midi info and then all you have to do is match the channels....it seems overwhelming but its simple as pie.

i have a similar rig but with one triaixs and its so cool to step on one button and instantly change settings on the triaxis while switching between multiple pedals and rack effects at the same time...the tones i get are amazing. just hang in there and it will come to you!

masque said:
dude dont take this the wrong way but you are way overthinking this.....plug your ground control into the gcx and then run the midi out of it into the triaixs and then out of the triaxis into your effects and so on.....just make sure that each of the units are prepared to recieve midi info and then all you have to do is match the channels....it seems overwhelming but its simple as pie.

i have a similar rig but with one triaixs and its so cool to step on one button and instantly change settings on the triaxis while switching between multiple pedals and rack effects at the same time...the tones i get are amazing. just hang in there and it will come to you!

Right on...what type of midi cable are you running from the GCP to the GCX...and from the GCX to the Triaxis. I think that might be one problem I have.

Any midi cable will work. The ground control will get power from the GCX. Be sure everything is set to the same Midi Channel. I suggest setting all midi devices to "oMNI" mode. Now everything will respond to every Midi command. I also use Roland volume pedals in the Pedal inputs of the Cround Control to control Volume of the Triaxis.
DSC_0110.jpg
DSC_0112.jpg

I'm not being funny but just read the manual for the ground control. When you get it, it's blank. You will have to set up the midi channel for each different device and then how you want the board to work. Whether it be banks of 4 with 8 on/off controllers or what ever....you will have to spend the time and read through it...there's no short cut.
If everything is set to the same channel then they will all respond to any programme/patch change or CC comands you send...so you may want them on different channels ?

K. Called Mesa. They at least helped me to get this thing working. Looks like I need to get another GCX to do everything I want to do. So, it is what it is. Ground Control Pro switching between devices sucks ***, but I'll start programming it later this afternoon. I'm calling Voodoo Labs today to see if there is an easier way to get this rig operating the way I want it to. Will post pictures later this afternoon.

I am trying to do the same thing but with a 2101 and a studio pre.
I posted here and on the voodoo forum and sent an email to voodoo but have not heard back from anyone. I did some digging and as far as I can tell the only way (sans using two gcx units) to switch between two preamps AND have stereo outs from each preamp to the power amp input is to use a rack mixer.. Not really what I wanted to do. As far as the gcx not working you just need to sit there and set up each midi channel/control to do what you want (just need to get the foot control to talk to the gcx). I went through that stuff with my art-x15 and my gsp2101 years ago.It's not that hard once you understand what is going on.
Rock on.

I think I have this pretty well figured out. It took me three weeks but it was worth it! I will post a video and some pics a bit later!

Latest posts

Back