FX LOOP BYPASS SOUNDS GREAT!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
talltxguy said:
Any of you Mark V people did a reverb bypass mod to further increase the tonal bliss?

It would be cool to be able to bypass reverb along with everything else when switching to hard bypass with the switch - or maybe add an additional switch just for reverb. I can tell a tone difference when reverb is turned on for sure.

I've not messed with hard bypass switch much. I'm too addicted to delay in the loop! I may have to ween myself off my delay pedal just long enough to try the amp out in hard bypass. I might be enlightened...

I've been playing in hard bypass since reading this thread and I have to say the tone is amazing! It feels and sounds more dynamic and the tone is very alive as someone else put it. Is there a footswitch that will work that is only channel switching buttons? No need for the other buttons on the FS in hard bypass.

MMJP6, the included MkV footswitch works for everything (except solo boost and FX on/off) while playing the amp in hard bypass. No need for a separate footswitch to switch between channels while in hard bypass.

Hope this helps!

MBJunkie said:
MMJP6, the included MkV footswitch works for everything (except solo boost and FX on/off) while playing the amp in hard bypass. No need for a separate footswitch to switch between channels while in hard bypass.

Hope this helps!

Oh, I know, but it seems like a waste of space since half the buttons don't work! Haha.

i have to admit my mk5 with hard bypass sounds a lot lot better than with the FX loop active.. I sold my Nova Repeater a month ago and since then i am playing with the bypass on.. love it so far.. But I am still thinking of getting a delay unit, I like to use some delays with my clean sounds (i dont care about crunch and distortions).. have any of you been successfully using delay pedals in front of your amps? between the guitar and amp input i mean :)

I am thinking of getting a boss DD20 just to get presets..

anyway - those of you who use the Nova System what's you placement in the signal chain? I mean it has some choruses,compresors and flangers/phasers, with pitch shifters delays and reverbs and stuff, but there is one thing that I don't know if works ok. - basically your gain based effects like chorus, phaser etc should be placed in your signal chain just before your amp input and not in the loop.. on the other hand delays and reverbs should go right into FX loop.. but you only have one possibility to wire it at one time.. either in loop or before amp input.. doesnt this cause some effects to sound shitty? i mean a phaser or chorus in fx loop may sound weird, but delays would be ok.. on the other hand delays and reverbs before amp input may sound weird but your choruses and distortions and phasers will be just fine

I have also revisited my tones by hard bypassing the effects loop.... It sounds so much better its scary. Im probably no longer going to use my axefx in the loop anymore. I only use effects on clean/mild crunch sounds so my line 6 m9 in front covers it nicely.

It is the best my amp has ever sounded. Ive since read many say that mesa effects loops arent that great, which got me thinking, what if i fitted one of those Metro Zero loss effects loop kits to the Mark V? Anyone ever try these on a Mesa?

Cron, it's not just the FX loop bypassed when in hard bypass so I don't think you'll get the full effect just by replacing the FX loop circuit.

FWIW, I have reverted back to FX loop active as I missed the additional features. However, if I ever need to record I will be using hard bypass for sure!

The manual says this..".When the loop is engaged it reverses the phase of the amp"...(Pg.41) So you may be hearing the diff between the two. As far as the dreaded tone suck...If you are recording..use the least amount of stuff in the chain. If you are playing live...after the drummer and the bass player kick in...and anybody else..NOBODY will notice any of the subtle differances we notice when playing at home. +2 on the comment about master volumes..

So what kind of effect would the effects loop tube have in all this? What should one look for in a tube to maximise transparency ? (if finding the right one would even make a difference)

Bump old post....
Very old post but I just realized my Mark V sounds so much better with loop bypassed.

Yeah, I think the thread covers the details nicely.

Sometimes I think it’s just due to how aggressive the volume taper is with the loop bypassed - I end up playing at a higher volume than I do with the output volume working and think “oh that’s so much better”.

But I do think there’s really something to it. I used to play with the loop bypassed most of the time, until I started using AT7s.

dlpasco said:
Yeah, I think the thread covers the details nicely.

Sometimes I think it’s just due to how aggressive the volume taper is with the loop bypassed - I end up playing at a higher volume than I do with the output volume working and think “oh that’s so much better”.

But I do think there’s really something to it. I used to play with the loop bypassed most of the time, until I started using AT7s.

Yes sir, I also now use the loop with AT7s. It has been long while since you contributed to the AT7 usage thread which I very much appreciated, would you mind telling me what tube position(s) you have settled on after all this time?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back