For those running a Quad pre or Studio pre: what's your rig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Magic Hoof

Reaction score
What is your entire chain when running a Quad or studio pre? I'm talking about other stuff besides the pre and the power amp. Like running an EQ or anything else that can maybe kick the studio or quad pre up a notch. Do you find it necessary to run anything else in the chain to make the Quad or Studio pre shine?

Nothing except a Studio Pre and a Simul 2:90 with the Modern mode engaged. It's got all the balls for metal I need.

Studio Preamp -> Recto 2:100 poweramp. I do boost it with a TS808 to give a bit more edge and tightness, and also some some delay for leads.

Studio Pre---->g major--->Mesa 2:50-----> cab. Not currently using any type of a boost, really haven't felt/heard the need.

When I use my rig that has the Studio Pre.....

Gsp-1101 ----> Axess GRX4 w/ ADA MP-1 and the Studio Pre patched into it.

I use either the ADA MP-1 or the Gsp-1101 for my main tones and effects....
and use the Studio Pre for my lead tones w/the GSP for effects or flavor if need be..

For power I use either a Peavey 50/50 or Peavey JSX 120 Head ----> 4x12 cab...

I Love having the ability to access 3 incredible pre-amps at anytime with a single
click!!!....

My signal signal path is as follows (I'll skip the pedals and start with the Quad pre) Quad pre > BBE 362 > Rocktron Replifex > Rocktron Intellifex (just for reverb and occasionally adding delay) > Mesa Stereo 2:50 > a pair of Framus 1X12 cabs w/Celestions. If I use the cabinet sim in the Replifex, I run a pair of Yamaha PA speakers instead. Everything from the Quad to speakers runs in stereo. I read a post about not having a powerful or present sound and some one thinking it was the Quad or 50/50 causing the problem. Definately not the Quad unless something is wrong with it, not sure about the 50/50 but my 2:50's presence controls don't effect the sound until about at 2 o'clock and i usually run them at about 4 or 5 o'clock. The BBE is the key to a clear, powerful tone for me, clean or with distortion. Another factor is the use of the parametric eq in the Replifex, makes a huge difference and really brings out a lot of different tones. If I was having difficulty finding a good tone with any good guitar equipment, i would immediately plug in a BBE Sonic Maximizer and a parametric eq.

Guitar > Zvex Fuzz Factory > DimeWah > Boss BF2 > Ibanez GEQ10 > Ibanez FL9 > Playmate Phaser PH2r > Whammy IV > Quad > Ibanez AD202 Delay > Boogie Simul-Satellite FX IN > Hotplate OUT > DOD Series II 15 Band EQ > DOD Series II Compressor > Ampeg B2 Combo

DSC01394.jpg

DSC01399.jpg

Dmt, you stole my GEQ curve! "The classic M" . When people ask if you have a full stack do you start laughing uncontrollably? 8)

I love your carpet!

Was running my Quad into a Peavey Classic 50/50 via a GM-2.

Still not 100% happy so have reverted to a JMP-9001 (ever heard of it?) for the time being.

nice rack...maybe a couple of hardcover books would be a bit more stable...just a thought.

ryjan said:
Dmt, you stole my GEQ curve! "The classic M" . When people ask if you have a full stack do you start laughing uncontrollably? 8)

LOL. yea I do start laughing when people ask me if I have a stack... I usually just ell em its a stack and taller than me... as for the GEQ I stole it off the "tube freak" site when i was tryign to figure out goo settigns for this beast.

Yes, i know that paperback aren't so stable, but this is the wheel of time here... pretty solid...lol. I plan to put it all in larger rack, and keep the custom wood rack for studio use. I didn't make it deep enough to fit the preamp or a full sized poweramp, so ill need something else. Right now its all in storage, soon to move it across the country.

Guitar straight into Quad into Dean Markley I-20 100 watt tube head and Marshall 1922 cab.

Rig 1: Guitar ---> Dunlop Wah ---> Xotic BB pre ---> Quad ---> Strategy 500 ---> Marshall 4x12 run stereo

or...

Rig 2: Guitar ---> Boss NS-2 loop {---> Dunlop Wah ---> Dunlop Octave Fuzz ---> Boss SD-1 ---> Boss NS-2 loop} ---> Boss TU-12 ---> Quad ---> FX loop {---> Boss DM-2 delay ---> TC chorus ---> Eventide Timefactor ---> Quad FX loop} ---> Strategy 500 ---> Marshall 4x12 left / Marshall 2x15 right

Latest posts

Back