First Post...IIC Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad737

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been playing for 28 years, and always liked Mesa Boogies, but just never came across the right one at the right time. Anyway, I bought my first Boogie on eBay yesterday...a well-worn Mark IIC combo. And when I say well-worn, I really mean "pretty much trashed". :D I found it on eBay, for what I think is a pretty good deal, so I couldn't resist.

I was hoping you all wouldn't mind a newbie asking what I'm sure are the "standard Boogie" questions that you've answered a million times. (I wasn't getting very far with searching for "IIC"...too short.) Anyway, here goes!

I know I'm going to have to replace the speaker. It's currently loaded with a JBL D-120F. That's a highly desired speaker, so I figure I can sell that and have money left over to buy the "correct" speaker. Am I correct that the stock speaker for the IIC combo is the 8-ohm EVM 12L? I've read that some folks might prefer the Celestion 90? If you were trying to nail the stereotypical Boogie tone, is the 12L the speaker you'd choose?

Next, the cabinet looks pretty rough. It's sort of a cream tolex, with a baby-poop yellow grillcloth. Do you know if these early Boogie cabs are plywood or hardwood? I' e considered re-covering the cab in perhaps a burgundy tolex, or maybe just removing the tolex, sanding it down, and applying a stain. I've also contacted GTS from here about his aftermarket cabs, but haven't heard back yet. Also, I definitely want a wicker grill. I've always loved the look of those. Any recommendations? Is refinishing a cab doable for a DIY project?

Lastly, my amp is serial number 12356. It has the Pull Deep faceplate, but doesn't have the + over the cord, just an I. That leads me to think it's a regular IIC, not a C+. Even though the seller says it sounds great, I plan on having the amp serviced, because I know that caps get old and need replacement. My question is whether or not I should have it modded to the C+ circuit? I know that most folks think the C+ is probably the pinnacle of the series, but I'm a little hesitant. First off, I DO NOT plan on flipping the amp. But I have a fairly extensive gear collection, and I do want my kids to be able to sell the amp and not get hammered on resale value after I'm gone. What I'm getting at is originality. I'd never refinish an old guitar that had a rough finish, because it kills the value by about half. Do you think modding the circuit adversely affects the value of something like a IIC, or is the C+ mod considered an upgrade? The player in me wants to do the mod, but like I said, I don't wanna destroy the amp's future value. Having said that, should I send it back to Mesa, or just use the local authorized repair center?

I apologize for all the questions, but I just wanted to get the straight scoop from the Boogie experts.

Thanks,
Brad

Here she is, in all her nappy glory...

110D1C72-D126-4018-BEC8-3931324AABFD_zpsebnmhlyz.png

0835FB13-F1EA-4F6E-A647-8C0366553153_zpshyzr1wz9.png

4A015416-8681-4CA1-AB98-122D0A9AEE70_zpsvtcyvijw.png

A7607A57-1140-494B-8AE7-4F02B4F8B855_zpsqwqp7wql.png

657980D4-9A30-43A5-9F7C-65E838EB7A0C_zpsu4jhp2bk.png

The JBL is a fine speaker. I've seen these in Mesa's before. Try it see if you like it.
If not sure what speaker to stay with get an EV12L and/ or an MS-12 and compare them to the JBL.
Keep the one(s) you like.

As for upgrading to a C+ diminishing it's value over time: Not a chance.
If anything it'll increase it's value.
As Markedman said Mike wont be doing these upgrades forever. Get it done.

Congrats on winning the amp!

ps
I replied to your PM

Thanks for the advice, gents. She finally arrived. It was really easy to dial in a gorgeous clean tone. It took me a few minutes of knob twisting to figure out 4 separate volume knobs. I still haven't figured out the Master of Puppets tone, but I have it sounding pretty good. I definitely need to put a "normal" speaker in it. The JBL is great for Twin Reverbs, but I'm not sold on it for a Boogie.

I did the loop test, and it's definitely a IIC, not a +. I'll send it to Mike B after I play with it for a week or so.

As for the cabinet, it looks worse than in the photos...just really yellowed and grimy. I'll send it to George for restoration when I ship the amp to Mesa. I'm thinking burgundy and wicker for now, but that's still up in the air.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Brad

I have my doubts that you can dial in a "puppet" tone on a IIC, though upgraded to a C+ and a GEQ in the loop it's easy to get the puppets.
The other thing that is included in the + mod is the effects loop and the reverb circuit, which will be after the lead channel in the signal chain, this is not the way it is on a IIC, so you'll get a much more useful FX loop & reverb. A "+" mod is absolutely worth it.
Mesa will also ask to have it serviced while doing the mod, which is recommended.

Okay guys, small update. I was able to find a lot nicer cabinet for my amp. I'm still planning on having GTS recover my spare cabinet in burgundy, and adding a wicker grill, but in the meantime this is a whole lot more pleasant to look at. The new cabinet came with an EVM 12L speaker. I also retubed it today. I put in two RCA Blackplate 6L6GCs, an old Mullard in V1, a pair of low-noise, but high-gain 12AX7s from ARS Electronics in V3 and V4 (for what I think are the lead channel drivers), and a balanced Sovtek 12AX7LPS for the phase inverter. Dang, she sounds nice now. I'm going to play it as-is for a week or two, then send it to Mike B. for the C+ mod. The only other thing I need is the Mesa Five Band Graphic pedal, and I should be set. I've never played a 1x12 combo I liked before, but this baby is awesome. :)

AF07214D-1D1C-4DA5-8DD1-7BA646B85C6C_zpsq4tglnmo.jpg

47CAF1D2-0725-4FF0-A488-55721D5BBA9D_zps15ucg7ed.jpg

Back