F.C.T.Mod MESA TREMOVERB MOD.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may need to get a 3rd one now just to see. :)
:lol: Like 2 isn't enough! :lol:
Don't you have a bad *** Maverick too?

I use this same mod in some other amps(sort of). I actually added the so-called blanket circuit to my Heartbreaker for rounder tone if I want to play mellow or muddier stuff. I use a switch to take it out of the circuit for more singing tones. It basically shunts a given amount of highs to ground when LDR 10 is on.

Thanks for this thread, it made me realise that replacing the LDR would do the exact opposite of what I want.
How lucky is that! :D

I don't see how reducing the size of the treble in the tone stack is going to get you more highs. The treble cap and the highs control form a high-pass/low-cut filter. All reducing the size of the treble cap from 500pF to 250pF does is shift the break frequency away from the upper mids and futher into the highs, taking more upper mids out of the sound. I suppose a lack of upper mids could give the apparency of more highs as there's less upper mids to mask the presence of the highs, but I'm not sure reducing the amount of upper mids in the circuit is a good idea.
Weber sells this: CSUB_SMC https://amptechtools.powweb.com/subs.htm
If you experiment (carefully because there will be a couple hundred volts on this cap!!!!!!!), you'll see that increasing the value of the treble cap will make the amp sound fatter and have more upper mids. This way, you can easily find the value that works just right for your needs.
This only works up to a point. If you go too far, it seems to have the opposite affect if the treble is too high. I can see where it would sound more focused and have more highs that are apparent by lowering amount of upper mids, just like Koreth said.
I have started installing a 6 position mid boost switch in the Lust channel of every Heartbreaker that I mod with the Super High Gain mod. I use mine for a footswitchable mid boost. This makes a much better "Solo" boost than just adding another master volume like the modern Mesa amps have. Talk about a "Blanket Circuit!"
Adding extra treble capacitance is basically every "Fat" switch that Mesa makes.

You can really accomplish a lot by playing with the tone stack and the slope resistor! Good job!

Hi everybody,

I am fairly new to the board but I just read this thread and the schematics of the tremoverb. I located the components in question.

Everything I say is referencing this schematic:
http://guiguijones.free.fr/Electronique%20&%20Bouine/electronique/Schema%20Amplis%20Effets%20etc/Amplis/Mesa%20Boogie/tremvrb2.gif

Look at the lower row and locate the orange tone stack below LDR12. The main mod he described is to cut the path to ground through the 22kOhm, 0.003uF, LDR10 and 10kOhm series that filters high frequencies.

He then changed the tonestack, namely the 470kOhm resistor below LDR12 and the 500pF capacitor of the treble filter.

I also compared this schematic to the 2ch recto schematic online and since the tonestack is fairly similar, this mod should also work on these.

Hope this helps!

In my rectifier, it looks like there are 2 identical value resistors followed by 2 small yellow caps almost right behind the bass pot. One of them is the right resistor to remove.
Which one? I don't know. They're soldered so tightly to the board that I can't read the numbers under them.
Anyone knows?

Latest posts

Back