Ernie Ball MM Petrucci... doesnt sound that great....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeSignature

Reaction score
Hello, I have an EB MM Petrucci (6 string) that I bought almost 2 years ago. There is something not right about the way the guitar sounds... hard to describe it. It sounds a bit fuzzy and thin maybe? But only when playing with distortion. Clean, the guitar sounds amazing. It is easily the worst sounding guitar I have when playing with distortion... I was wondering if anyone else has run across this issue. I do have the model with the Piezo and yes, the piezo is bypassed. I have replaced the 9v battery several times since Ive owned the guitar. I bought it new from GC.

Ive played the guitar through many different Mesa's, a Carvin V3, Fenders, Marshalls, a VHT Pitbull, Engl Powerball and I just dont like the tone. It doesnt sound as good as my PRS, Carvin, Ibanez's, Strats.... Could it be the pickups? Anyone familiar with the guitar know what Im talking about?

Any ideas?

Sell. It's a great guitar that doesn't have the tone you are looking for. You can spend a lifetime trying to find the right pickup configuration but it's easier just to sell and be done with it.

i've played about 5 or 6 of them including bfr's..it doesnt feel good to me and i wasnt crazy about
the sound either.

Different strokes for different folks... I have one and love it. It's no thinner than my PRS or Peavey. Just installed the new Crunch Lab/Liquifire DiMarzio pickups and they really helped the tone, but you'd probably hate them! Haha.

Eh, I know what you mean... I had several Ibanez JPM's over the years and liked the tone of those, but the 3 EBMM JP's I've had (two 6 strings, one 7 string) have not blown me away with tone. I don't know if it's something with the guitar construction or the special Dimarzio pickups, but I've been tempted on several occasions to try a pickup swap to see if it improves the tone a bit.

--B

Its an aquired taste. The first time i tried one i hated it but the more i played i could understand the guitar and really started liking it. Though i still think a suhr modern will blow it out of the water

I have a loaded 6 that I have had for quite a while now and couldn't be happier. I guess it really depends on what kind of sounds you are personally trying to get. I have been fortunate enough to find it provides every type of tone I need!! Oh and I agree you cannot beat the cleans that come out of them!! Best advice, sell and keep looking.

MusicManJP6 said:
Especially when you add a push/pull pot for split coil tones like I did! 8)

Since you replaced the stock EBMM pickups with the new JP pickups (Crunchlab/Liquifire), how would you compare the two?

I'm trying to figure out how big of a tonal change it is for the $$$ investment.

--B

bduersch said:
MusicManJP6 said:
Especially when you add a push/pull pot for split coil tones like I did! 8)

Since you replaced the stock EBMM pickups with the new JP pickups (Crunchlab/Liquifire), how would you compare the two?

I'm trying to figure out how big of a tonal change it is for the $$$ investment.

--B

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=38584&p=277690&hilit=liquifire#p277690

8)

MusicManJP6 said:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=38584&p=277690&hilit=liquifire#p277690

8)

Thanks! After I posted above I Googled for Liquifire / Crunchlab and saw the results of your "science project" on a couple other forums... sounds like the new pickups are more up my alley vs. the stock pickups, so I ordered a pair today. Since I have a JP7, I may do a couple back-to-back recordings to compare how the 7-string pups sound.

--B

bduersch said:
MusicManJP6 said:

8)

Thanks! After I posted above I Googled for Liquifire / Crunchlab and saw the results of your "science project" on a couple other forums... sounds like the new pickups are more up my alley vs. the stock pickups, so I ordered a pair today. Since I have a JP7, I may do a couple back-to-back recordings to compare how the 7-string pups sound.

--B

Awesome! They really are killer pickups. I'm glad my hard work helped you out, man. :)

Latest posts

Back