EQ Sliders Vs. Preset Knobs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Fore

Reaction score
I've found myself going with the preset EQ knobs on all 3 channels and not using the sliders at all. Has anyone else started using the preset knobs instead of the EQ sliders?

Ch.1 -> Preset knob @ 9:00
Ch. 2 -> Preset knob @ 11:00
Ch. 3 -> Preset knob @ 1:00 (IIC+ mode... oh mama!)

me too, in the same settings range as you list. for some reason, the preset knobs sound much more musical to my ears, and the sliders sound boomy or muffled. i have no idea why, and i'm still very early in my tweaking.

Since most people EQ it based on a V anyways, I wouldn't be surprised that more people would prefer it over the EQ :D I thought I wouldn't use it at first, but I am liking the presets for on the fly tweaking.

On my side, I use no extra EQ for the clean channel, the preset for channel 2 and the V shaped Graphic EQ for channel 3.

The presets used with the Preset Depth controls seem to work pretty well for me. I have the depth set pretty low on for Channel 1 EQ. I suppose not using the presets would be necessary if you wanted the EQ to add more mids, but it seems easy enough to get mids from the simple treble, mid, bass controls in the channel section.

Also if you wanted to uber-scoop the tone, the sliders would be useful.

I also tend to stick with the preset knob - partly because I do think they sound better, but also because it's faster to tweak in a pinch.

A couple of side notes here:
* Like most folks, I find the Mark I mode really dark - but it does come alive a lot more with the sliders - especially the two highest ones.
* I've seen some folks do interesting things with the graphical EQ - I met one guy who played a mark 3 around the country and use it the opposite than most folks - giant mid hump. This works better on EV speakers, IMHO, being so flat. Actually, I think I've seen a handful of indy rockers (i.e., slow legato molody lines) and country pickers (i.e., Joe Barden pickups) play mark I, IIs and IIIs with a big mid bump in the GEQ.
* Now that I think about this - I've got to try the GEQ in different ways with the tweed mode on channel 1. I'd never even though of that.

Man, am I loving this amp!

Dave

I've done something different on each channel. On Channel 1, I have the extra EQ off. Channel 2, I use the preset knob, and channel 3, I use the sliders that I use in a pretty peculiar fashion. I wrote my review of it over in another thread, so if you want to know my settings, go check it out.

I was going to ask this exact question. I'm reallu suprised, I thought there would be some feelings of obligation to the sliders. Can't wait to play with mine.

Randall really just completely muffed up the sliders on the Mark V, i dont know why he couldnt just keep it the way it was. But yeah the preset knob really does sound spot on.
~mike~

Now I'm bummed because they could have fit another channel (or OD/solo/boost channel w/assignable loop??) on the front instead of that EQ! :idea:

Mark Fore said:
Now I'm bummed because they could have fit another channel (or OD/solo/boost channel w/assignable loop??) on the front instead of that EQ! :idea:
it gets better-give it time..this is a tweaker in the eq category for sure-I like it better now that I am settling down and zero-ing in on some key tones(hard to do 'cause its fun to play..) personally, I have actually found the factory settings useful this time!
the learning curve is def. how to use the eq!!factory settings give some different senarios-helps to put you in ballpark-got to use that preset eq sparingly, or it makes the sliders sound weak, and put the volume to it as well.. :D

lesterpaul said:
Mark Fore said:
it gets better-give it time..this is a tweaker in the eq category for sure-I like it better now that I am settling down and zero-ing in on some key tones(hard to do 'cause its fun to play..) personally, I have actually found the factory settings useful this time!
the learning curve is def. how to use the eq!!factory settings give some different senarios-helps to put you in ballpark-got to use that preset eq sparingly, or it makes the sliders sound weak, and put the volume to it as well.. :D

+1

I liked the knobs better at first but have been settling in to the EQ sliders this past week. I'm liking them better already.

ryan b said:
I've done something different on each channel. On Channel 1, I have the extra EQ off. Channel 2, I use the preset knob, and channel 3, I use the sliders that I use in a pretty peculiar fashion.
that's what i've done, with the preset on channel 3 and for Crunch mode on channel 2, and the sliders set in a peculiar fashion for the Mark I mode on channel 2. the Mark I mode has such a different sound, with all the boominess, that i need different EQ settings to get it to sound right to me.

but i still don't think the sliders sound similar to the presets at all. thankfully it hasn't gotten in the way of me dialing in great sounds.

I haven't found any use for the preset knobs yet. They sound kind of thin/trebley to me especially on channel 3.

Latest posts

Back