Dual Rectifier and Marshall 1960 Lead Cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyber104

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

My son had a gig this past weekend and we were in a hurry so we were forced to pair his Dual Rectifier head with a Marshall 1960 Lead 4x12 cabinet. I just wanted to report that it sounded pretty darn good. In fact, several guitar players came up to us as were packing up to leave and asked which head was powering the Marshall cabinet - they were VERY impressed with the tone. I guess they saw that the Marshall head was not powered on and the Mesa head was sitting on the floor.

Just wanted to put this piece of info out there for future reference.

I can also report that the sound of a DR through a 4x12 Peavey JSX cabinet is absolutely AWFUL! We tried that cabinet too before the show and everyone ran away :)

Chris

Hmm. My favourite Marshall cabs are the 1960vintage (v30s) or 1960ax (greenbacks). The 1960lead cab (300 watt G12T 75) is OK, depending on what style you play. A Mesa will destroy many other amps.....

I agree - Probably not the ideal setup but it wasn't horrible (like the JSX) either.

I used to run a Recto with a Marshall 1960. The 75's sound good but the cab construction just killed it for me. ZERO low end unless you sealed all the interior seams and whatnot. Lame.

^ +1
Everything I experienced with my Rec and the Marshall cab loaded with 75's. Total different story with my Marks though.

fluff191 said:
I used to run a Recto with a Marshall 1960. The 75's sound good but the cab construction just killed it for me. ZERO low end unless you sealed all the interior seams and whatnot. Lame.

Ya, I would call the low end 'spongy'. It has a lot of give to it and doesn't pound like a Mesa cab. I think the Marshall cabs are good for punk rock but that is really about it.

My bandmate have a marshall 1960 vintage cab (v30's) and from time to time I plug my dual in it. Less low end, very treble, more mids and a bit fuzzy too. Not that bad, you have to deal with the amp settings to take part of it. It depends on the style you're playing, the guitar and even the place. Its not a bad cab, just isn't the cab for my genre/playing style. One more thing: The sound from the cab alone isn´t that great, but with the recto cab (I mean, the recto with the recto cab and the marshall tsl with the marshall cab) give a sound mix quite interesting and very powerfull.They complement eachother.

Incidentally, a Marshall with a Rectocab sounds awesome. I may have considered getting a Marshall but I have issues with their build quality so no dice.

As with all things, it depends on what sound you are after, and it also depends on which "Marshall Cab" you are talking about. There are a few variations of the 1960, and they can sound drastically different. I use a Marshall 1960av "vintage" which has Celestion v30s with my DR, and I think it is perfect.....for the music I am playing.....90s-style hard rock, Foo Fighters/AIC/STP type stuff.

I get plenty of low end (in fact, I have my bass controls turned down below 9pm, and there is still plenty of low), mids sound fantastic - I actually thought my DR sounded a bit too dark and scooped through the Recto cab, so the additional mids in the Marshall cab are perfect (for me)

Granted, I am not trying to play chunka-chunka metal, and I could definitely see that the Marshall cabinet would not really work well for that. BUT, not everyone that plays a DR plays metal, and for those (like me) using it for rock type stuff, I think the Marshall cab (at least the 1960av with v30s) is a really great option.

+1

The best (for what I like) I've heard a Dual Rectifier sound was a Rev G 2-channel through a Marshall 1960AV. More vibrant and less thump than the Recto cab, with more upper mids. I can certainly see why it wouldn't be as good for the really heavy stuff though.

The best I've heard my Tremoverb sound was through an old Marshall straight 4x12" with original G12M-25s too, but that's cheating ;).

I tried a Mesa cab and Marshall 1960AV cab side by side with a JVM and they didn't seem that much different to me. The Marshall cab being somewhat tighter and the Mesa cab slightly more scooped.

fluff I can't say you're wrong if you did use one but from my experience the sealing thing is ridiculous. I dunno maybe your cab was different or something but I did seal mine and I didn't notice a ****'s difference apart from the extra weight. My bandmate and I also replaced the G12-T75s with V30 at the same time and he didn't seal his cab... the difference between them was 0.
Maybe the Recto just wasn't made for that kind of cab. :)
The V30s make the most difference IMO I don't think the normal A cab with the T75s is a good idea for the Recto because of their inherent sizzle and somewhat pulled back mids.

94Tremoverb said:
+1

The best (for what I like) I've heard a Dual Rectifier sound was a Rev G 2-channel through a Marshall 1960AV. More vibrant and less thump than the Recto cab, with more upper mids. I can certainly see why it wouldn't be as good for the really heavy stuff though.

The best I've heard my Tremoverb sound was through an old Marshall straight 4x12" with original G12M-25s too, but that's cheating ;).

Agreed. The Marshall 1960av or 1060ac are two of my favourite cabs from them. The Mesa Stiletto 4 x 12 is my favourite 4 x 12 in person. I also greatly prefer a roadking 2 x 12 to a 2 x 12 rectocab. Strangely enough, I prefer different gear for recording than I prefer live. Let me explain: In the Haggertys vids, I'll prefer a Recto Cab over a Stiletto, I'll prefer a Mark V over a Dual Rectifier, I'll prefer the Royal Atlantic over the Electra Dyne, I'll prefer the 2 x 12 Recto Cab over the Road King 2 x 12. Live, I'll take a Stiletto 4 x 12 with an Electra Dyne. I'll also take a Stiletto 4 x 12 with a Recto and I don't care for a Mark V whatsoever. It **CONFUSES** me to pieces!

I have played a Marshall TSL trough a Marshall 1960AV and a Mesa Traditional and to my ears the amp sounded better with the Mesa cab.

BigMac5 said:
I have played a Marshall TSL trough a Marshall 1960AV and a Mesa Traditional and to my ears the amp sounded better with the Mesa cab.
They do, for the same (equal and opposite) reason that the Mesa amp sounds better through the Marshall Cab :).

The real bummer is that the feet and skid trays don't match up...

I find it funny that the cheap Marshall cabs (MC412 for instance) are the same size as the Stiletto traditional, whereas the Recto cab is 10cm taller, and the Marshall standard 1960 cabs are 10cm wider. All of them are around 36cm deep and there is such a difference in tone.

Latest posts

Back