Don't put CabClone on top of head.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaslan

Reaction score
Maybe this should have been common sense but I was getting a fairly high level of 60 Hz (and harmonics, i.e. 120Hz, 180Hz, etc.) hum in my DAW from my Cabclone.
I was pretty sure it wasn't the rig because, by itself, it is pretty quiet. I thought it might be the audio interface for a while too.
What made the light bulb go off was that, even with no speaker cable from the head to the CabClone, as soon as I turn on the amp, the hums start (monitoring them in the DAW).
So, of course, I moved the CabClone away from the head and the hums went down. Just putting the CabClone 2 or 3 feet away gets the hums down to about even with the noise floor.
With the Clone on top of the head, the hums were about -15 dB with the noise floor close to -infinity.
So, long story short, don't put the CabClone on top of the amp head.
Which brings me to the question...
What about the amps with the built in CabClone? Are they somehow shielded or just a better or different design?
Has anyone else run into this?

No noise issues like this with my Mark 5:25. Running into Scarlett and Logic Pro X.

Maybe they put some shielding around it in the combo amps. It also does it if I move the clone near the monitors or really any other significant AC power source.
I didn't see anything in the manual about placement. I wonder if there is something wrong with my CabClone. Maybe I will call support next week. As long as I keep it 5 feet or so away from any large AC power, The hums are basically at the same level as the white noise floor and about the same as when I used a mic in front of the speaker into the audio interface which means to me that the Clone is not really adding any extra noise (again, as long as it is 5 feet away from other stuff).

Just for completeness, I will include my system specs.
I am using the Mark V 90 watt head, 2x12 vertical recto cabinet, CabClone, into a Scarlett 2i2 (first generation), Cubase Pro.

Back