DC-5 Love at first strum

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macdaddyof9

Reaction score
So I just got my DC-5. What a great amp. I'm not an expert or a writer, but I just love this amp. And what a deal? I think the DC has got to be one of the most underrated, overlooked amps around. For an amature I just don't think you can do any better for twice the cash. I feel so comfortable playing through it and have already got lots of compliments. I just got it friday so that's saying something. Highly recomend one to anybody looking in the sub K $ range.

Mac, I am glad this worked out for you. As a former DC-5 owner I have to agree it is probably the best all around amp Mesa ever built. Enjoy :!: :!: :!:

You must do the volume mod. Check this area of the board for the instructions. It opens up the sound of the amp and greatly improves the taper of the master volume pot.

Paul Secondino said:
You must do the volume mod. Check this area of the board for the instructions. It opens up the sound of the amp and greatly improves the taper of the master volume pot.

This would be very easy on Mac's amp as the resistor is mounted right on the output pot. I could have done this last week before I shipped it as I pulled the chassis to spray all of the pots with Caig Deoxit.

I've noticed a lot more treble - like a LOT - since I did the mod. The amp's so versatile that I'll just find a way to dial it out, since the lower volumes will be nice at home...but it's a bit disappointing. Is that what everyone meant by "opening up" the sound? I loved it because it was warm.

highwaynine said:
I've noticed a lot more treble - like a LOT - since I did the mod. The amp's so versatile that I'll just find a way to dial it out, since the lower volumes will be nice at home...but it's a bit disappointing. Is that what everyone meant by "opening up" the sound? I loved it because it was warm.

I've always wondered why Mesa Boogie put it in there in the first place when it alledgedly only has negative consequences. So far I haven't read a technician's point of view on this.

Latest posts

Back