David Grissom warm tone with a Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonanderson23

Reaction score
Any ideas on how I can get that creamy, thick David Grissom type tone out of the Mark V? There are some good posts of David's tone on youtube and I've been a fan of his playing for years. He's played Bad Cats, Marshalls, and now PRS amps. The Mark V is such a versatile amp I know I should be able to get in the ballpark. I've tried the fat, tweed, and mark I modes with several different settings and there seems to be a fine line between it getting too muddy or too bright and top heavy, not a lot of warmth at least when I'm messing with the settings. I'd even settle for an Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule warm tone. I play a Mark V head through a 2x12 rectifier slant cab with a PRS DGT and Gibson 339. I use Fulltone pedals but I'd like to rely more on pure amp tones. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

jonanderson23 said:
Any ideas on how I can get that creamy, thick David Grissom type tone out of the Mark V? There are some good posts of David's tone on youtube and I've been a fan of his playing for years. He's played Bad Cats, Marshalls, and now PRS amps. The Mark V is such a versatile amp I know I should be able to get in the ballpark. I've tried the fat, tweed, and mark I modes with several different settings and there seems to be a fine line between it getting too muddy or too bright and top heavy, not a lot of warmth at least when I'm messing with the settings. I'd even settle for an Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule warm tone. I play a Mark V head through a 2x12 rectifier slant cab with a PRS DGT and Gibson 339. I use Fulltone pedals but I'd like to rely more on pure amp tones. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.
love the man!10 watts/tweed/variac-I like lots on gain with this setting and LOTS of volume,BUT--back off on the Vol control of guitar and lots of ground can be covered!...I am also running el-34's in my V...I have had good success with the ol' Fulldrive in conjunction with chan 1 as well...chan 1 has some real mojo..

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I've been able to keep it in the 45 watt w/ variac engaged with the live band at gigs. We don't play the type of places where we need to mic the guitars. It can get a little overwhelming getting the settings right on the amp and then using either the fulldrive or fat boost. The mark v just flat out has a lot of choices. By the way, I saw the Gov't Mule pic with your name. New CD out today! Thanks again.

a previous post i made some time ago...
**** skippy a few el 34 thoughts ...it was nice in the cleans with a Les Paul..which has "fatness"...cant comment on a superstrat (yet...)-more growl with the proper EL-34's ..we tried the 450's,the GT El 34M, and the Sylvania 6CA7's..(****!!)..
the skinny...the EL's had warmer highs,and were THE DEAL in Mk 1mode!!!less bottom end compliments the MK 1 mode, which is TOTALLY BADASS with good 34's in there...we were in MArshall mode a few times, with classic tones bouncin' off the walls...we were able to get a good transition between all 3 channels using fat or tweed on 1/crunch on chan 2/IV mode on 3......IMO, MK 1 mode is a specialized application available with this amp..if you MUST use chan 3 in conjunction with chan 2, you almost have to be in extreme setting, due to the vast diff. in eq...I really dig it(mk1)...as Joey stated , we got scary close blending the tube types...(thats why I bought some tubes from JB before I left...)if you are new to Mk amps, take note of what JB printed in above post regarding tube positions,etc...
bottom line, this is a mark amp-it allows you many different applications with a the swap of a few tubes....we swapped quite a few today in 4 plus hours of aural assault, and got quite a few different results...when she is cranked, the differences in power tubes are very apparent/even between the 34's we played with today
-it might get you closer to that old low wattage MArshall tone Mr. G gets....does my amp nail Gris??no...but it can get Grissom-esque
..heard the new PRS amps he is playing...then I saw the $tag..****

Thanks. I'll give the 34's a shot. Appreciate the response. I guess if we had as many session creds to our name we could afford a couple PRS heads onstage, til then I think we're doing pretty good with the V.

Latest posts

Back