CH3... Using 45 watt mode to get "the tone" at lower volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
I think I have CH1 and CH2 pretty much figured out after owning the Mark V for 1 year. But CH3 still gives me some trouble. I'm constantly tweaking. I cant get enough low end without the tone getting flubby. I cant get enough high end without the tone getting harsh.

I have a much easier time getting a good tone when the volume is higher (of course). If I can get the volume up so the amp is cooking, the tone improves vastly. But I'm still not totally happy.

Last night I realized that I could further push the amp into "the tone zone" if I switch it to 45 watts. But I like the bold, immediate, ballsy tone of 90 watts. Is 45 watts in CH3 still Pentode? Is it tube rectified (I hope not)?

Hendog said:
I think I have CH1 and CH2 pretty much figured out after owning the Mark V for 1 year. But CH3 still gives me some trouble. I'm constantly tweaking. I cant get enough low end without the tone getting flubby. I cant get enough high end without the tone getting harsh.

I have a much easier time getting a good tone when the volume is higher (of course). If I can get the volume up so the amp is cooking, the tone improves vastly. But I'm still not totally happy.

Last night I realized that I could further push the amp into "the tone zone" if I switch it to 45 watts. But I like the bold, immediate, ballsy tone of 90 watts. Is 45 watts in CH3 still Pentode? Is it tube rectified (I hope not)?

Don't mean to be a dick, but your questions about pentode/triode, tube rect, etc. are clearly answered in the manual. But one piece of advice is try to use the graphic EQ to add bass, NOT the bass control on in the Ch3 section. Too much bass there is what gives it the flub. Also try the preset EQ. Might help if you post your settings here so we can see what you're doing.

For low, low volume on channel three, I like to use variac power, mark IV mode and 10 watt power. I set my gain and treble around 2:00.

fr0sty said:
For low, low volume on channel three, I like to use variac power, mark IV mode and 10 watt power. I set my gain and treble around 2:00.

i do the same exactly!

SBG200 said:
Hendog said:

Don't mean to be a dick, but your questions about pentode/triode, tube rect, etc. are clearly answered in the manual. But one piece of advice is try to use the graphic EQ to add bass, NOT the bass control on in the Ch3 section. Too much bass there is what gives it the flub. Also try the preset EQ. Might help if you post your settings here so we can see what you're doing.

Seriously??? You give me a hard time and tell me to read the manual (I have read the manual cover to cover and I dont remember if CH3 in 45 watt is pentode or triode, tube or silicon diode) instead of just answering the question.

I always use the graphic EQ in CH3. And I am well aware that using the bass control knob is what adds flub.

fr0sty said:

I have considered variac but I cannot use 10 watt and variac is too soft. In CH3 I like tight, bold high gain sounds. That is what I was saying in my OP.

And I dont want "low, low volume". I just want what I said in my OP.

Channel 3 is never tube rectified on any setting. And whether it is pentode or triode depends on the switch in the back, not on the wattage. Dropping it from 90 to 10 watts doesn't change it from pentode to triode.

What power tubes are you using? If using 6L6s, you might get better results with EL34s or 5881s.

eudaimonia02912 said:
Channel 3 is never tube rectified on any setting. And whether it is pentode or triode depends on the switch in the back, not on the wattage. Dropping it from 90 to 10 watts doesn't change it from pentode to triode.

What power tubes are you using? If using 6L6s, you might get better results with EL34s or 5881s.

Not sure if I can trust what you are saying because your first sentance is flat wrong...

Hendog: Oops, you're right. Just check the manual. I though channel 3 was always diode tracking.

However, I'm still pretty sure that the pentode/triode is selectable in all modes, because no matter what wattage I'm on, when I flip the pentode/triode, there's a noticeable change.

Hendog said:
SBG200 said:
Hendog said:

Seriously??? You give me a hard time and tell me to read the manual (I have read the manual cover to cover and I dont remember if CH3 in 45 watt is pentode or triode, tube or silicon diode) instead of just answering the question.

I always use the graphic EQ in CH3. And I am well aware that using the bass control knob is what adds flub.

Well you should be able to understand how someone would think you didn't read it, based on how you didn't know a couple very basic things that are clearly explained there. Here it is if you want to take another look. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/MkV_100303.pdf

Take it easy.

SBG200 said:
Well you should be able to understand how someone would think you didn't read it, based on how you didn't know a couple very basic things that are clearly explained there. Here it is if you want to take another look. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/MkV_100303.pdf

Take it easy.

Do you ever add anything constructive to a thread?

jesus...

who cares if he doesn't remember minutiae. i challenge you to a chumpstumping contest, SBG. out back behind the goddamn monkeybars.

I used 45w mode in channel 3 a lot when I was using EL34s to push them a little more.

however, 99% of the time i find myself in pentode 90w in ch3 for maximum fullness and bass response. to me, changing the wattage changes the frequency response of the amp a lot, and there are some sounds that seem to need all four power tubes.

I have been using 45 watt settings for a while now and really work great with almost any indoor gig. This setting has more of the class A sound than the 90 watt does. Better sounds at lower volumes. But for all out outdoor gigs or really big venues it's 90 watts to get the cleans to project in those cases. I love this amp....Take care of your tubes.....

I'm using 45 almost always, most gigs everyone says 90watts is too much to have a mic in front... and this makes me keep 45 watts most of the time. I can get a great tone, but The tone is 90watts...

phyrexia said:
jesus...

who cares if he doesn't remember minutiae. i challenge you to a chumpstumping contest, SBG. out back behind the goddamn monkeybars.

I used 45w mode in channel 3 a lot when I was using EL34s to push them a little more.

however, 99% of the time i find myself in pentode 90w in ch3 for maximum fullness and bass response. to me, changing the wattage changes the frequency response of the amp a lot, and there are some sounds that seem to need all four power tubes.

Thank you for answering my initial question. Good point. The 90 watt is fuller and ballsier. So I guess it's a trade off.

Latest posts

Back