Can you swap a Mark V out of a combo into a head easily?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramfootball36

Reaction score
So I'm having a hard time deciding on the combo vs head. I have money down on a combo at GC for a great price. But the only thing I thought I felt at the store is that some of the thunder from my active pickups just didn't come through the way it does on my Peavey valveking 212. I hate the Peavey but it does have a nasty growl on a palm mute, that low chug. I only played on the Mark V for a couple hours so I attributed it to the fact that I needed some time to really set it up and get it dialed. But after I left I started wondering if to get that heavy chunk sound will I need to run a 2x12 cab possibly closed back. My peavey is 2x12. I'm thinking if I get the head and wanna just run cabs I could swap it over to a head. So help me justify sticking with the combo, it's near new and a great price.....or should I really consider a head?

I was pretty well set on buying the combo until I lifted one up, and realized that getting it in and out of my car without damaging something would take more effort than I was willing to deal with. So I went with the head. I already had an open-back 1x12 with a C90 in it and a Recto 2x12, so that made the decision easier. The 1x12 is pretty close to what the combo sounds like, and it's pretty decent, but the amp comes alive through the 2x12.

I personally am much happier with the head. I have read several posts were guys with combos were not happy with the sound until they plugged in an external cab.

I would go head if you can. That combo weighs a ton! You can always use an external speaker with the combo however if it's a good deal. I have a 1x12" which definitely lacks that oomph your describing. As soon as I plug it into my 1960 Marshall 4x12 suddenly it's so huge I'm dialing bass back. Speakers make all the difference.

Having said that I use my friends triple rectifier occasionally and it is much ooomphier than the Mark V so maybe you'd be happier with that. (Go double rectifier though, you can't turn that triple past 2 without blowing windows out!)

Dave

I have a combo and use an ext 1x12 open back cab.
From my understanding, you can easily swap out
the amp from combo to head if you want to later.

The weight doesn't bother me at all. I have it in an
ATA case and it's a total of 108 pounds all together.
I'm a little guy too!
I gave up the head/4x12 in the 80s because the
bulkiness of a 4x12 is a bit harder for me to handle
even though it's lighter.

I have a maple hardwood combo that I don't like to gig with so I had Mesa make me a headshell. It takes about 10-15 minutes to move the chassis. It is easy.

I have a maple hardwood combo that I don't like to gig with so I had Mesa make me a headshell. It takes about 10-15 minutes to move the chassis. It is easy.

what about the reverb tank? what do you do with that?

I've got a 1x12 Mark V combo and it sounds great to me! Haven't tried plugging in my Marshall 4x12 cab though. hmmmm... :idea:

Hey guys, how much does the head shell run? I'm not a fan of the combo I have... that's a lie - it's a love hate. I've played the head through an Orange 2x12 and it sounded great. I mostly play at home and go to the rehearsal studio once a week or so, so I don't want to unload a ton of cash. Although, the head/cab combo looks pretty **** cool.

Latest posts

Back