Cabinet for Rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the.rev

Reaction score
could someone recommend a good cabinet to compliment a Rectoverb head, preferably a 4x12, but i'm also considering a 2x12 as well for smaller gigs and jams when i dont want to lug around a bigass cab.

i play progressive and hard rock on a PRS.

right now i'm using a marshall cabinet and it sounds like *****, no balls...okay for leads though.

thanks

also this is my first post, so high everybrody!

straight or slant or does it matter?

is the straight cab too bassy on its own without the slant to balance it?

???

musicmasterguitarist said:
i own a rectoverb50.

1st series or early version.
has reverb.
2 channels, and 2 settings per channel.

this was originally in a combo.
i transferred into a head cab to use with
marshall 2x12, very tight. good for hard rock for sure.
4x12 cabs.. didn't use this with them.
i tried
a vox 2x12 cab. this was a bass cab. probably would work
but didn't spend enough time.
and a fender bassman cab 2x12. i liked the vintage tones.
this was the type sound i was after, but there is
a speaker that needs replacing or reconed... otherwise i would
probably stick with using that cab.
i use an es335, and the amp, cab and guitar sounded great together.
that combination anyway..

but now i am using the 1x12 combo speaker again.
initially, i didn't care for the sound of the amp and 1x12 speaker
for playing live shows. figured it was more of a practice amp
or small gig amp...

i was typically playing marshal amps thru 4x12 cab.
but picked up the rectoverb combo for playing smaller gigs.

in time though, experimenting with different preamp tubes,
amp settings...speaker cabs, etc...
the rectoverb is a good amp. and is capable of alot of sounds or tones.

i am back to using the 1x12 cab.
it works for the type of band and material we cover...
and working with another guitarist.
he uses a 2x12 combo amp.

my mesa recto and 1x12 open back speaker cab
puts out plenty of volume for the stage, and
the soundman is quite happy.
it works well for me for leads/rhythm. anything.

in a band covering harder rock i would probably go with the
2x12 or 4x12 for sure.
mesa or marshall cab? never tried any other mesa speaker cabs.

i have tried the rectoverb amp thru
a marshall 4x12 with greenback speakers.

it sounds great.
better than the 1x12,
2x12,
and other 4x12 cabs i've compared to.

both channels sounded good. full.
clean, overdriven, and all inbetween.
marshall 2x12 or vox 2x12 is second choice.

your question was asking which bottom worked best.
so i shared info.
hope it gives some ideas.
???

Depends on what type of music you are looking to get, but I def recommend a Mesa Trad cab over any Marshall no matter the speaker combo. The Trad cabs are my favorite mesa's by far.

thanks

musicmasterguitarist said:
i have tried the rectoverb amp thru
a marshall 4x12 with greenback speakers.

it sounds great.
better than the 1x12,
2x12,
and other 4x12 cabs i've compared to.

both channels sounded good. full.
clean, overdriven, and all inbetween.
marshall 2x12 or vox 2x12 is second choice.

your question was asking which bottom worked best.
so i shared info.
hope it gives some ideas.
???

rectonator296 said:
ive got a rectoverb combo and i blend it with my 2x12 recto cab, it sounded more tight!

thats great, but my problem is the sound is too tight. it seems okay for leads, but when playing any riffs or big open chords on the vintage or modern channel mode, it leaves much to be desired in terms of punch, kick, balls, depth, however you want to put it.

i'm guessing all i need is a quality cabinet.

the.rev said:
rectonator296 said:
ive got a rectoverb combo and i blend it with my 2x12 recto cab, it sounded more tight!

thats great, but my problem is the sound is too tight. it seems okay for leads, but when playing any riffs or big open chords on the vintage or modern channel mode, it leaves much to be desired in terms of punch, kick, balls, depth, however you want to put it.

i'm guessing all i need is a quality cabinet.

http://www.millsacoustics.com/

You won't regret it :!:

:mrgreen: Hi Gang,

I've been running a boogie system for many years and I've always had a rather 'crappy' 4x12 cabinet. I live in the Seattle area and I had an opportunity to visit THD Electronics and bring my rig. I din't bring a cabinet because they had some there. We played with my rig and they were very cool and agreed that they liked it's tone better the way it was without modification and I had to agree.

However, the cabinet they had me run through was a 2x12. That thing sounded so much better and huge than the 4x12 I had; I was sold.

So for a few years now I've been thinking about getting one of the THD cabinets. I'm one of those people who is afraid of screwing around with what I have, (if it's working for me), and I also have come to the conclusion that if you have something long enough you can learn to coax just about anything out of it because you know it so well.

That said, I purchased a THD 4x12 a few weeks ago. All I can say is 'Holy Crap'!!! This is what people should be doing with their cabinets. I kept wondering why no one else thought of doing what THD has done. The only conclusion I can come up with is that most people (usually famous touring musicians), that use a 4x12, are miking them and therefore don't need the innovative modifications that THD has done. I tried the Boogie 'Recto' and 'Traditional' cabinets and they both sound good with the boogie heads and other gear but the THD cabinet . . . it's like going from a hot rodded old Firebird car to a well tuned vintage Ferrari! It's definitely a huge step up. If you want an amazing sounding cabinet and want a good complex tone with some serious 'meat' to it you can't go wrong checking out the THD people.

On a side note: the group over at THD are just as cool to deal with as the boys at Boogie. Every time I have contacted either of those two companies the level of help and customer support is second to none. Just my opinion though.

Happy Playing!!!

Latest posts

Back