cab/speaker question and advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justice1988

Reaction score
Currently I have a son set beach 3x12 with two Eminence GB128's and one Eminence Man o War. Before, I had a 1x12 3/4 back Mesa cab with a C90 in it. I had no problems with the sound of the cab(mainly the amp "Mark III"). Well I never tried my new Mark III on the old cab, but only speaking on the new 3x12, their is a nasty treble beam when standing towards the front of the cab. When standing towards the sides or rear, it sounds great and full. But never remembered a nasty thin treble beam on my mesa 3/4 C90 cab. It was very smooth and pleasant, even when in front.

I'm wondering if it would be worth getting two wide body closed back cabs with C90's for my Mark III? Sell the 3x12 to recoup the cost. I don't think its the speakers, it could be the cab it self.

Thoughts?

I think you've answered your own question, bro. Each speaker/cab sounds completely different. Also, if you have a nice set of speakers that are completely broken in, that makes a huge difference too. A few factors to rule on.

IMO, there's a laser beam from every speaker/cab. And in the spirit of full disclosure, I pursued a solution exactly as you proposed...twin vert 2x12 half-backs with C90s. In smaller venues where I didn't want the big projection, using one cab on its side forced the beam to my feet and under control. Since our guitars aren't mic'ed thru FOH, it works really well.

That band is done and this classic rock gig called for different cabs, so I've moved on. But for a more modern rock application, those big 2x12s with C90s sound really, really good. So if you're not happy with the 3x12, move on.

Latest posts

Back