Blown away by 1989 open back 1x12. And for metal???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredding

Reaction score
So I'm always a v30 player. I just sold my recto oversized 4x12 cab with all v30s. I still have 2x12 mesa vertical cab for reference when I bought this 1x12 open back mesa cab with black shadow. I have to say it slaughters my 2x12 with the amount of lows and less ice picky highs. The sound is just super tight. So what happens here? How can a 1x12 without front port out out more perceived lows than a 2x12

shredding said:
So I'm always a v30 player. I just sold my recto oversized 4x12 cab with all v30s. I still have 2x12 mesa vertical cab for reference when I bought this 1x12 open back mesa cab with black shadow. I have to say it slaughters my 2x12 with the amount of lows and less ice picky highs. The sound is just super tight. So what happens here? How can a 1x12 without front port out out more perceived lows than a 2x12

I think it's the v30 vs the C90.

The v30 can get ice pick highs where the C90 tapers
it and rounds it off. I think the C90 is bassier as well.
For this reason, I run both. One seemingly
takes on what the other leaves off.

i had that cab too- great cab IMHO I think the open back helps give it that great sound. Open back is louder with loser bass my fave type cab.

The clean channels also benefit from open back cab compared to sealed cavity cab.
Does the 1989 open back 1x12 have the 200W EV black Shadow? or the 150W Eminence MS-12? Not sure exactly when Mesa switched between the different speaker vendors.

bandit2013 said:
The clean channels also benefit from open back cab compared to sealed cavity cab.
Does the 1989 open back 1x12 have the 200W EV black Shadow? or the 150W Eminence MS-12? Not sure exactly when Mesa switched between the different speaker vendors.

The EVM 12-L was an upgrade option over the MS-12, although some (including me) like the MS-12 in an open-back 1x12 coupled with an EVM-loaded Thiele.

Back