Best Speaker for a Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kramerxxx said:
Scumback M75 100watter

Why do you say so? Any clips? I haven't tried any other speakers than the V30 in my cab. Really happy with the result but just gotta be careful with the top end spike in frequency. How's the comparison between the V30 and the scumbag?

Its everybodys personal choice and as well depends on the music played.

Mine is an old EVM12L broken ib long ago by an (east)German Rock band

or V30

Rest dont care that much

Roland

I have 2ea 3/4 back Mesa 1x12" with EVM 12Ls in them. I also have a Thiele w/EV. I have various 2x12s and 4x12s with Celestion, Weber and Eminence speakers from G12k-85s, G12K-100s, MC90s, Vintage 30s, MS150, Michigans, etc. They all have great sounds with this amp.

But, if I want a smooth, creamy, ripping lead tone, the inefficiencies of the Scumback makes the amp work a little hard, giving it a Greenback meets G12-65 kind of tone that records VERY well. It is a closed back, Avatar contemporary.

These speakers are expensive and I usually play out with a Celestion or EV, but the Scumback sounds Stellar, IMHO.

I do agree, we all have different tastes. When I researched this before the purchase, there were not any searches that returned Scumback/Mesa so I wanted to get one out there.

I thought I had my answer- open back 1x12 with a Tone Tubby hempcone sitting atop a closed back 1x12 w. OEM EVM-12L. but......

I just revisited my old 80's half open/closed back 4x12 (vintage Mesa Black Shadows on top, EVM's on bottom). Oh my god, it was gorgeous sounding with the Mark V.

For my ears..... winner.
Brent

babow2 said:
I just revisited my old 80's half open/closed back 4x12 (vintage Mesa Black Shadows on top, EVM's on bottom). Oh my god, it was gorgeous sounding with the Mark V.

For my ears..... winner.
Brent

I think I have the same cabinet that I'm glad I never sold. Mine is half-back (top open, bottom closed), has one 8 ohm jack (I wish it had two for my Rivera S120), and MS12 speakers. IIRC the bottom two spkrs are unmarked. So I'm guessing they're all the same spkr and 150 watts each.

Is this the same as yours? Mine's all ripped up and looks pretty ghetto but I did always like this cab. Heavy as hell, hope it doesn't throw my back out one day!

I don't mean to snipe this thread but my question relates to the topic.

Almost a year ago I traded a Straight Stiletto Mesa 4X12 for a Slant/Straight Rectifier 4X12 cab. I knew it had a G75/V30 combo in the X pattern but I always felt something sounded a little off, so I mainly used my Road King 2x12 and didn't use it unless in combination with the 2x12. However when playing in my band the other guitar player's marshall Vintage 1960s cab sounded bigger so I KNEW something was up. Finally I opened the back up and I realized the G-75s were 16 ohm vs 8 ohm and they weren't wired in series/parallel. This obviously overloaded the V30's and caused the 75s to be barely producing any volume. So now that I know the issue I have to make a decision. Do I replace the 16 ohm 75s with 8 ohms ones like the Bogner Uberkab, swap the 75s with C90s to balance out the V30s, or go all V30s. :/ I play the Mark V with Bare Knuckle Nailbomb pickups in my guitar. I like an aggressive yet super clear rhythm sound with as little top end sizzle as possible, but with string overtone when played more aggressively. Think periphery-esc but not tuned so low. I did play through a Mesa V30 slant rectifier cab the other day and I liked how it sounded, but would the V30/C90 combo compliment my 2x12 better and give it more depth? I'm very undecided at the moment and any advice or examples would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I have owned G75T Celestions and thought that they had a scooped mid-range that worked very well with Marshall styled amps that were more High-mid voiced. I think this is specifically why Mesa puts Vintage 30s in most of their cabs, to compensate for the scooped sound of amps like the Dual Recifiers.

I recently bought, on a whim, 2ea Celestion G12K-100 8ohm speakers and compared them to 2ea Mesa/Celestion Black Shadow MC-90 8ohm speakers with my Mark V and Mark III amps.

I've heard that the G12K-100 was a relabeled G12k-85, of which I have 8 of, mixed in other cabinets. This is not true. The 85 has a BIGGER driver than the 100. The MC-90 has a vent on the driver that the C-100 or the C-85 do not. They all have labled 1777 cones. The difference in sound is the 100 is slightly brighter and tighter, but otherwise a very close match. The 85 has a bigger bottom end than both the 90 or 100, I'm guessing because of the driver size.

G12K-85 speakers mate VERY well with Vintage 30s. Great balance for cleans and driven tones.

I'm going to try the G12K-100 with the Mesa/Celestion MC-90s and I'm expecting very similar results.

Here is a response from Celestion that I received some time ago when I inquired about the g12k85...

"The G12K-85 was a popular speaker for many years and dropped out of the catalogue a couple of years ago. However, we never stopped making it so we have put it back into the new catalogue but now call it the G12K-100. It was introduced in the late 1970's, featuring a Kapton voice coil bobbin (Kapton was a new material, enabling higher power ratings than previous speakers). This came to define the 'Modern Rock' sound of the 80's, as the same coil was widely used in the G12T-75, the 4x12 mainstay from then until today. The G12K-85 is exactly as the G12T-75, but with a larger (50oz) ceramic magnet, and a more focused field to give tight control, punch and definition, with a little more bite and attack than other speakers.
The modern sound is characterised by a slightly compressed overall sound, without the high treble 'sparkle' of the vintage speakers, but with a more forward, crunchy mid range. The G12K-100 has good clean headroom before the cone break up takes over, but also responds well to all gain levels from mild crunch to death metal. It also works well with multi effect units.
It has a sensitivity around 99-100dB (1W @ 1m), a response from 85-5500Hz and a power handling of 100W RMS. It's a great all rounder, especially suited to rock lead.

Best regards,
The Doctor "

Thats "Dr Decibel" from the Celestion site.

Hello from England. When will you chaps ever learn ? The Mark series of amplifiers are and always have been leagues ahead of the British amps which you fellows seem so bent on following.
All of the so-called classic British amplifiers are one-trick ponies (albeit a particularly good trick ) and believe me I've had 'em all - Vox, Marshall, Laney - you name them - however none have the sheer versalitity of Mr Smith's creations. You simply cannot multi-task with our homespun gear - you do a jazz gig with a Plexi !
And as for speakers - Celestions used to be made in a little town on the East coast of England called Ipswich and all the Bulldogs and Greenbacks have long gone and the rest have now long since departed to the Far East and they now appear in repackages under the nom-de-plume C90 and vintage C30 and they appear in the Mark Combos of late.
Wake up - reclaim your own. Pair whatever Boogie you have with an EV speaker -you used to you know - have a gander at some Boogie catalogues of the Eighties and drool.
I am lucky and priviliged enough to own four 1x12 Boogie EV loaded cabs, two Thieles and two open-backs (albeit at eye-wateringly high expense because Mesa Boogie products are astronomically expensive in England ).
Best speaker ? As we say in England - " Are you having a laugh ? " EV. Everytime.

Latest posts

Back