best options for mic'ing DR ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheameup

Reaction score
Hey

I'm about to do my 1st gig with my new 3 channel DR in a week . I run it thorugh a 2 x 12 mesa closed back cab

Last night we recorded our rehersal just rough with a few mics and I chucked a mic ( a crappy Sm58 knock off the studio had ) in front without any sound check on it . My sound in the room was great but the recorded sound is horrible , lacking bottom and shrill . I didnt expect a great recorded sound but I thought it would be closer to what i was hearing

I have a 57 at home and will bring that for our next rehearsal but just wondering on any tips for mic'ing up a DR to keep in mind ? I'm sure the mic had allot to do with it but any tips with a 57 would be appreciated

I have started doing some recording with my Dual Recto as well. I have an SM57 as well, and you really have to place it at a bit of an angle right in the middle of the (not center) cone.

I just got a Sennheiser e609, so I will let ya know how that sounds. Should sound deadly in conjunction with the 57.

Yeah, closer to the center of the speaker youll get more treble and scratchy sounds. Closer to the edge of the speaker and you get more bass. Your gonna want to find your sweet spot that fully captures what you are hearing. Before recording the whole band, just chug away on an open string, and with your other hand, move the mic all around the speaker, and at all different angles. Play that back and youll hear all the changes.

Once you find the right spot for the mic, the right angle it should be at and all, tape that spot off, and even take a picture or two of the setup. That will be your sweet spot, and now youll know and have a reference for when micing it up next time.

When with a band, a close mic will probably be best. Adding a condenser to that could capture more of the amp, but cause of the other members and instruments it will be capturing them too. But when recording for a cd a combo of a dynamic and condenser mic is awesome.

Jerrick said:
Before recording the whole band, just chug away on an open string, and with your other hand, move the mic all around the speaker, and at all different angles. Play that back and youll hear all the changes.

+1! Make sure you say something in the mic like "DEAD CENTER" or "BARELY OFF TO THE RIGHT SIDE" or whatever so you know what you're listening to.

Jerrick said:
Yeah, closer to the center of the speaker youll get more treble and scratchy sounds. Closer to the edge of the speaker and you get more bass. Your gonna want to find your sweet spot that fully captures what you are hearing. Before recording the whole band, just chug away on an open string, and with your other hand, move the mic all around the speaker, and at all different angles. Play that back and youll hear all the changes.

Thanks for the tips all. Yeah I had the mic pretty center of the speaker so thats where the bad sound comes from I guess

I know a lot of guys like to jam their 57's pretty close to the speaker, but if you're playing at high volumes, it's not hard to overdrive a 57 and get some crappy distortion. I've had MUCH better luck angling the mic flat to the cone, about 3/4 to the edge, roughly two inches off. I've had it back as far a three or four inches, in a close live situation, and still not had problems with bleedthrough.
From my "limited" experience, I've gotten a much warmer, organic sound recording my Rec this way. (with a 57, anyway....)

Hope this helps.

Think some oft this works for micing live rigs to.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3176975091479283638#

Lots of wisdom.

nicke

Keep in mind that an Sm 57 will start rolling off lowend around 200Hz so if you're looking for that really deep lowend you might prefer something more along the lines of a Sennhieser MD 421......However i've gotten some pretty killer tone from a 57 dead center 4 inches away from the cloth with my rectoverb.

After watching the video, I'd say the "B", four or five position is my preference. I've also used condensers about a foot behind the 57 with good results. (tricky in the mix, though).

Latest posts

Back