Axe Fx vs. 3 Channel Recto - Video

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluff191

Reaction score
Thought I would share this vid. Very interesting. This is not my video, but it was just uploaded and thought I would share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76S3E-wEgYY&

I'm surprised by how much the axe fx holds up;

Still, nothing beats a real recto IMO :mrgreen:

Great topic!

the axe fx is prolly the best modeler there is..but i sold mine and still have my 2 channel rectos if that tells u anything. they sound amazing direct but i could never get it to sound like that live through tube or ss power amps. the guy from samhill band gets great live sounds though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yu0DbqgbT8&feature=related

recto sim with mic. and most of the sims sounded the same to my ears, but what do i know my ears are shot out. (this is an opinion from owning the axe and not meant to knock the original post)

The recto wins it but I've never heard the Axefx before and it sounds pretty awesome for modelling . But I looked at the price here in Oz . $3000 australian for modelling . big call

Dang. While there's a small difference, if he had uploaded just the Axe-fx clip and said it was a recto I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

You can dial them in to sound extremely close, but I just can't stand the feel of them for live playing. Even through a tube power amp and my 4X12, it just wasn't the same. The sound would fool just about anyone, but I just didn't like actually playing it.

Thanks for posting!
Very interesting how far modelling has come. The Axe sounds a bit darker than the Recto; does not have the "air" that the Mesa does.

Having said that, I have to wonder if the Axe FX is set up with a "modelled overdrive" in the signal path? Because if not, using the OD 808 on the Recto means it is just an Apples to Oranges comparison. We need to hear the Mesa straight in to really know.
Just an observation; I know you did not make the video. :)

Again, thank you for posting ! :D

It's interesting that you can clearly hear the difference in feel, even though it's someone else playing and it's via Youtube (lack of) sound quality - the real amp has much more dynamics, resonance and 'air' as BF Shred said. (And which if anything the 808 will hinder, not the other way round.) The Axe-FX sounds good - it doesn't seem to have that horrible brittle glassy sound all the other modelers I've heard do - but it still sounds quite linear and not real, somehow. It might sound fine in a finished recorded mix though. I'd also like to hear a comparison with lower gain, more raw overdrive - which is what the modelers seem to struggle most with, rather than the really heavy stuff.

The AxeFX sounds smothered compared to the more lively-sounding Rectifier. And I'm not just saying that because I own a Mesa/Boogie. I own modeling amps, too, and I'm a fan of that technology as well.

I wonder how much of that smothered sound is due to the AxeFX being recorded directly. I wonder if the AxeFX would sound better if it were run through a power amp driving the same cabinet and recorded with the same microphone.

It isnt a bad video, but ive heard better, and Id definitely wouldn't judge the axefx just from this video alone.

jtroska said:
I wonder how much of that smothered sound is due to the AxeFX being recorded directly. I wonder if the AxeFX would sound better if it were run through a power amp driving the same cabinet and recorded with the same microphone.

I agree. The AXE direct sounds pretty good, but cab sims seem to smooth the sound out and make it sterile and somewhat lifeless. I much prefer running through a poweramp and Mesa cab to get my tones from the AXE. The feel is no different when running it this way. The feel suffers when going FRFR or recording direct (IMO).

They do sound close, but I prefer the more open "airy" sound of the Recto.

Still, it's pretty darn close and would definitely pass for a Recto.

the recto does sound more "open" and therefore it sounds better. i wonder, why he uses the red-channel - i prefer the orange channel for those brutal sounds.
the axe-fx doesn´t sound bad at all, but you can´t beat the real thing.

Too bad he used a 1x12 for the real thing. Not a fair comparison IMO unless he also used a 1x12 sim.

As close as it sounds, to compare two bands or players with one on the Axe and one on the Rec... Player skill would be the determining factor, the tones are very close and both very good. If portability was an issue, and I didn't have a few thousand to buy a few differnt amps, I would get an Axe and probably say it was great but want a tube amp deep down.... :wink: But that's just me, not saying anyone else would do that.

Seriously. It is quite good. There is just something fake about it. Personal choice, implants or real thing.... When you are laying down a pearl necklace who really cares?

One miked and one direct. How about Axe FX into the effects return of the MESA? No cab simulation required, and a better preamp comparison. The best way to do any comparison is to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Silverwulf said:
You can dial them in to sound extremely close. The sound would fool just about anyone, but I just didn't like actually playing it.

Kind of like me trying every 3 channel Mark series to try my best to duplicate the C+ mojo. It's just not going to happen.
:wink:

Latest posts

Back