Attenuator for 150w Triple Rect?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILikePeeps

Reaction score
Howdy all, looking for an attenuator to use with my Triple Rec and possibly a couple other amps.
Basically the best bet I found so far that's been tested by a good bit of people is the Tone King Ironman II, however I contacted support about it because it's only rated for 100w heads... they advised I DON'T use it with my Mesa. Which surprised me, tbh. I even asked if I switched to the 50w setting if that'd be alright, again the answer was to not use it.

So I'm at a loss. Is there any attenuator any of y'all have used without murdering your amp? As far as 150w triple rects are concerned.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

What’s your plan for the attenuator? Are you just looking for a way to get a good line out for recording?

Lower volume settings should be OK with a 120W box like the Rivera rock crusher. Personally I wouldn’t risk it, the Triple Recto has a great output control, outside of bedroom levels anyway.

If you plan to crank the amp to try to get power tube saturation I don’t think there is an attenuator that will handle the full power of the Triple Recto. The Rectos are designed to get their saturation from the preamp, and their thump from a clean output section. I don’t know if you could get any power tube compression and saturation unless the amp was wide open, even then it’s not going to be much, the Triple Recto is really not designed that way, that’s why it’s 150 watts, to get more clean output section punch and low end without saturating the output tubes.

Dom

Thanks for the info! Yes for bedroom levels through a cab, nothing line out. If I have it in 50w mode, would you recommend cranking the preamp channel volume or the overall master power volume? Through an attenuator.
Just want nice tone in the comfort of the house without annoying others or hurting my ears even further.

The preamp is where the magic happens. For Modern mode tones keep the channel master around 10:00 - 11:00, and use the output control for the overall volume. Have you tried playing the amp in 50 watt mode with lower output settings? I know that a 50 watt amp can be loud, but it might work for your needs without spending cash on an attenuator. An OD pedal in front of the amp as a ‘clean’ boost will really help with good saturation at low volumes.

A low volume amp will never have the same depth and body as running stage volume, regardless of using an attenuator or not. Moving air is the trick to getting it to kick.

Dom

Don't forget that you also have the send-level control on the back of the amp. It still attenuates the signal even when there is nothing in the loop.

It will not do so if you have the entire loop bypassed via the rotary knob on the back that controls loop assignment, in which case the output control on the front will also be disabled.

I too have a multi-watt triple 2011. Great amps for sure.

Mesa makes their own attenuator that handles 150w amps. It's pricey, but we know they make good stuff.

Back