Another statistic!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been lurking alot lately. I just got laid off last Wednesday, along with 4 other guys. It was a total surprise. Anybody else going through this? It is pretty rough finding work here in So. Cal. The biggest problem is that Companies are getting flooded with apps. from too many unqualified people so that they get burned out on reviewing resume's. A buddy of mine is in the Job Recruiting biz and has given me a lot of tips. I have assets, but I 'm hoping I won't have to liqudate them... I might even have to sell some gear if it takes too long to find work. Even though I am a partner at Tone Merchants, it only accounts for a 1/4 of my income. Prayer definitely requested...

Thanks,

Carl

Carl, I wish you the best. I have 2 friends that lost their jobs within the last 2 weeks. One was a teacher and is moving back to the midwest as there is little work in So Cal. right now.

The state, as I am sure you know, is still trying to eliminate 500+ teaching jobs.
I think we have a ways to go yet before things improve.

Good luck & God bless...hang in there! :)

I'll be joining you in a couple of weeks. About a week and a half ago we were notified that our product is being consolidated and our department will be closed.
My last day of work is scheduled to be May 1st (which is the same day that my daughter has to choose her college by).

i hate hearing things like that. i'm in Massachusetts and things are pretty ugly here too but it seems CA is at a completely different level. best of luck to you. i think if i were in CA i'd strongly consider uprooting, provided that i wasn't too deeply rooted there family-wise. i hope that this is VERY temporary for you.

Man, I hate to hear this. Hopefully you'll find something else soon and you'll be able to hang on to your music gear. Best of luck.

I've been laid off twice since December, both from profitable companies.

Hoping to land some contract work this week so I can hold off on selling guitar equipment.

all this happend and now im just graduating so all the money i spend while going to school isnt getting paid back until i find a job... :?

That sucks. What were you guys doing for a living?

New Mexico is a poor state, so it doesn't seem to get hit as hard as other places.
That being said though, the local mining company laid off 900 people in January. That is 1/10th of the population here!

Well, I did not get laid off but this week but on Wednesday I got cut to a 32 hour work week. It should be interesting. I'm 52 and have never had to deal with this before.
It could be worse I know. They could have sent me home months ago. Since last November I have literally had weeks at a time with nothing to do. Like right now.
It's time to tighten 'er up I guess. Hopefully our company can ride this out because it is not looking good.
I will of course be thinking of you guys that are without work totally.

ursinus said:
Hey guys, I've been lurking alot lately. I just got laid off last Wednesday, along with 4 other guys. It was a total surprise. Anybody else going through this? It is pretty rough finding work here in So. Cal. The biggest problem is that Companies are getting flooded with apps. from too many unqualified people so that they get burned out on reviewing resume's. A buddy of mine is in the Job Recruiting biz and has given me a lot of tips. I have assets, but I 'm hoping I won't have to liqudate them... I might even have to sell some gear if it takes too long to find work. Even though I am a partner at Tone Merchants, it only accounts for a 1/4 of my income. Prayer definitely requested...

Thanks,

Carl
on a more positive note...let me know when you guys get in an axe-fx ultra. ive been wanting one but id rather buy local from people who could use some sales over buying blind from the internet. good luck

I got laid off a few weeks ago. I'm from Massachusetts also. I'm a mechanical designer. I've got a great severance package, the company's paying a service to help spruce up my resume and I'm learning a new CAD package.

I've been enjoying it!

gts said:
Hey Don I teach CAD to professionals (not undergrads) at UNH.

I've been using Pro/E for 12 years (v17-Wildfire 3) and want to be fluent in Solidworks. I'm using Solidworks 2007 at home.

A lot of local companies, especially the smaller ones, use Solidworks exclusively.

I used AutoCAD for 2D drafting before that (thru v10 or so) and started out on the drawing board back in the mid '80s.

I also use ANSYS Workbench in collaboration with Pro/E.

I do mechanical design. I've designed toys for Hasbro, relief valves for the power industry, computer hardware (CPU socket and heat sinks), prototype tooling, manufacturing tooling, etc...

I really enjoy it.

Don said:
gts said:
I do mechanical design. I've designed toys for Hasbro, relief valves for the power industry, computer hardware (CPU socket and heat sinks), prototype tooling, manufacturing tooling, etc...

I really enjoy it.

Did you play a part in the Ironman toys? If so my kid just loves your work!! But as I know squat about CAD design ... back to the topic...

I lost my job almost a year ago and it has been the BEST thing that has ever hapened to me!!!

Ok, I am in sweden so the social services here are insanely good but the point is that I took a step back and totally re-evaluated where I was at and most importantly, getting to spend some extra time with my kids has been an absolute blessing.

I moved to europe about ten years ago and worked all that time for a company in the fashion industry where I was very happy in my job. Prior to moving here I worked full time for many years as a guitar teacher and was gigging quite regularly. Working professionally as a musician was something that I thought I had put on the shelf long ago... but I can now happily say that I am back to doing what I have always loved the most... playing guitar for a living.

Perhaps things sometimes happen for a good reason...

Well, its been 3 months and I still can't find work that will support my family. I found a lot of low paying jobs, but nothing close to what I was making before. I'm not being a prima donna, I don't mind taking a pay cut, but it has to be enough to pay my bills, at least. How are you guys faring? I just got a call from an aquantance yesterday who just got the axe from his 100K+ job. He was shocked that it happened. Total surprise. I don't think we've hit bottom yet... :cry:

Things are getting tight with us. We haven't been able to pay our 1 employee for 3 weeks.
Today we can, hopefully!
We also had to let our personal vehicles get repo'd so that we could keep making the mortgage and business expenses.

I keep hoping that I'll get bombarded with amp work and won't have to be a contractor anymore! :D

Latest posts

Back